Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Springfield Armory XD >

Springfield Armory XD

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Springfield Armory XD

Old 08-19-2008, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Springfield Armory XD

I have the XD 45 and its a great gun....its solid...easy to take apart...and less moving parts...

I laid it along the M&P and found more positives from the XD....just my opinion. Good Luck!
Old 08-19-2008, 10:28 PM
Typical Buck

I have the service 40. Great gun. Bought a 9mm barrel conversion so that I can shoot the cheap stuff out of it.
Old 08-21-2008, 07:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys, I am going with the .40 sub compact XD in the green and black.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:01 PM
Fork Horn

I've had an XD 9mm Service model for almost 4 years now and I love it. Have several thousand rounds through it without a misfire of any type....Wolf, S&B, WWB, Rem UMC, Blazer ammo. It eats them all.

Definitely one you should consider. I'd love to have a sub-compact XD9.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

My BIL has one in 9mm and loves it. In my opinion though, it is just another Glock copy, and I am not impressed.
Old 08-22-2008, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like a good choice.
Old 08-25-2008, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

My BIL has one in 9mm and loves it. In my opinion though, it is just another Glock copy, and I am not impressed.
While it's similar in function from the shooters perspective to the Glock Safe-action in that it has the trigger safety and all the safety mechanisms are automatically deactivated by the intentional trigger pull, saying it's a copy is not true. The Glock Safe-Action only partially pre-cocks the striker when the slide cycles, and the pull of the trigger acts to fully cock and then release the striker, making the Glock more of a double-action pistol. The XD, on the other hand, fully cocks the striker as it cycles, and the trigger pull simply disengages a sear that allows it to move forward to strike the primer and fire the pistol. This makes it, by definition, a single-action pistol, albeit with a relatively long trigger pull by single-action standards, but shorter and crisper than a Glock trigger. This makes a big difference in now the trigger feels and, for me anyway, how well I shoot it. I, personally, believe that Glock designed the almost-double-action trigger mechanism intentionally, in part, to make the Glock feel more familiar to police officers used to double-action revolver triggers which were pretty much the standard issue at the time the Glock 17 came on the market, and who might believe a shorter or lighter trigger pull would be safe to carry without manual safeties.

I, personally, prefer the XD to the Glock. It has a better grip angle that makes the pistol point better (for me anyway), the trigger is far better than the stock Glock trigger, it's got an ambidexterous mag release, and you don't need to be an 800lb gorilla or an aftermarket lever extension to activate the slide release. I had a Glock 21 that had the 3.5lb trigger kit and extended slide release, and I still prefer my XD to it hands down, which is why I no longer have the Glock, while the XD is in my bedroom ready to greet unwelcome two-legged critters.

With the exception of the very small and hard to activate slide release (which may have been since remedied by making the once optional extended slide release standard equipment), there is nothing inherently wrong with Glocks, and if you like the way they feel you won't be making a mistake by buying one. They are a very reliable, tried-and-true, defensive sidearm that have no doubt saved the lives of many cops and armed citizens unfortunate enough to forced to use them in self defense. But I, personally, feel that the XD is an definate improvement on the concept of the manual safety free semi-auto handgun.

Mike
Old 08-26-2008, 06:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: driftrider

ORIGINAL: retrieverman

While it's similar in function from the shooters perspective to the Glock Safe-action in that it has the trigger safety and all the safety mechanisms are automatically deactivated by the intentional trigger pull, saying it's a copy is not true. The Glock Safe-Action only partially pre-cocks the striker when the slide cycles, and the pull of the trigger acts to fully cock and then release the striker, making the Glock more of a double-action pistol. The XD, on the other hand, fully cocks the striker as it cycles, and the trigger pull simply disengages a sear that allows it to move forward to strike the primer and fire the pistol. This makes it, by definition, a single-action pistol, albeit with a relatively long trigger pull by single-action standards, but shorter and crisper than a Glock trigger. This makes a big difference in now the trigger feels and, for me anyway, how well I shoot it. I, personally, believe that Glock designed the almost-double-action trigger mechanism intentionally, in part, to make the Glock feel more familiar to police officers used to double-action revolver triggers which were pretty much the standard issue at the time the Glock 17 came on the market, and who might believe a shorter or lighter trigger pull would be safe to carry without manual safeties.

I, personally, prefer the XD to the Glock. It has a better grip angle that makes the pistol point better (for me anyway), the trigger is far better than the stock Glock trigger, it's got an ambidexterous mag release, and you don't need to be an 800lb gorilla or an aftermarket lever extension to activate the slide release. I had a Glock 21 that had the 3.5lb trigger kit and extended slide release, and I still prefer my XD to it hands down, which is why I no longer have the Glock, while the XD is in my bedroom ready to greet unwelcome two-legged critters.

With the exception of the very small and hard to activate slide release (which may have been since remedied by making the once optional extended slide release standard equipment), there is nothing inherently wrong with Glocks, and if you like the way they feel you won't be making a mistake by buying one. They are a very reliable, tried-and-true, defensive sidearm that have no doubt saved the lives of many cops and armed citizens unfortunate enough to forced to use them in self defense. But I, personally, feel that the XD is an definate improvement on the concept of the manual safety free semi-auto handgun.

Mike

What you called the "slide release" is actuallythe slide stop. It'sdesigned tohold the slide back when the magazine is empty, not release it.What you are supposed to do to release the slide is bring your weak hand over and just slightly pull back on the slide and it will then release, causing the slide to go forward into battery. I only bring this up because you pointed it out as a disadvantage but ifusedas designed it does not take an "800 lb gorilla"to operate.

I personally think the XD is an excellent firearm but IMO theGlock is abetter defensive firearm.
Old 08-26-2008, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I respectfully disagree. When I was trained to qualify with the M9 in the Corps, the control we are referring to was definately referred to as the slide RELEASE, and we were trained to use it as such. Now, you may be correct that Glock departed from the standard use of this lever, as a simple Google search revealed that there are references to this control as both a "slide lock" and "slide release," but if you are correct referring only to Glock pistols, then this is another mark against Glock. If you are supposed to use your weak hand to move the slid back to reload, what happens when you're hit in the left shoulder and your weak hand is useless? I received training on the one handed reload just in this circumstance, and you most definately use the SLIDE RELEASE to return the slide to battery after you've gotten the fresh mag in the gun. The Glock, with the factory (as you call it) slide stop, is, IMO, to small and being flush against the receiver, too hard to quickly and reliably activate under normal circumstances, let alone in the heat of combat when you've been wounded getting the pistol reloaded quickly is the only thing that might save your life from the guy closing in to finish you off.

Mike

Old 08-26-2008, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another pic.

Quick Reply: Springfield Armory XD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.