Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 A Shotgun for the wife, Opinions... >

A Shotgun for the wife, Opinions...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

A Shotgun for the wife, Opinions...

Old 08-23-2008, 05:17 PM

Default A Shotgun for the wife, Opinions...

Im kinda new to shotguns and well my wife has a thing for shotguns so I decided to buy her one. I plan on going out and buying somthing that is good for woman recoil and smaller (possible youth model) and I have done lots of reading and really dont understand choke's, rifled barrels, slugs and buck shot. I know what they are but I want the best setup for her. She will be using it for Deer hunting upto 100 yards. Anyway I figured a 20ga pump using smoothbore slugs and or 00-000 buckshot with mod choke? whats the effective range on this setup? and other opinions. Thanks all for taking time to read my post and any help you can provide me with.
Old 08-23-2008, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: A Shotgun for the wife, Opinions...

For deer hunting up too 100 yards, then go with the 20ga. with a rifled barrel with the cantilever scope mountrail, and put a decent scope on it. That 20ga is deadly on deer, also DO NOT USE BUCKSHOT IN A RIFLED BARREL

Look into the pumps made by Mossberg (model 500) and the Remington (870 express) nither one will cost you alot
Old 08-23-2008, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty much any 20ga smoothbore will get you to 100 yards, just make sure you get the ammo that it likes best. You can shoot both buckshot, and rifled slugs out a modified choke. Just make sure you get good patterns with that choke, if it doesn't give you the patterns you want just switch them out to something that does.
If you think recoil will be a problem take a look at some of the managed recoil loads out there. Here is a link for one brand http://www.cabelas.com/prod-1/0016694215986a.shtml
Old 08-23-2008, 07:28 PM

A 20 gauge pump will work, but if you want to go past 50 yards you might want to invest in a slug barrel and some top dollar slugs.
Old 08-23-2008, 08:24 PM
Typical Buck

Browning BPS12Ga26" long invector chockes ,never look back.

Theres a rifled choke tube either Hastings or Browing . A 1oz 12 ga slug is good to 100 and will have less felt recoil
than the 20 ga . My 5 10 135lb daughter shoots the 12 pump quite well a never complained about recoil .
I started her with lite trap loads then let her shoot a couple 1 1/2 oz3" mags . we shot a ton of steel before she went to the Navy .
Old 08-24-2008, 09:02 AM

I'm gonna second the BPS Micro, one of the best shotguns I have seen for small framed shooters. It costs more than a mossberg or 870 but it is a nicer gun than either.

• Receiver - Forged and machined steel • Barrel - Compact 22" length, Ventilated rib • Action - Bottom ejection, Dual steel action bars, Top-tang safety • Stock - Satin finish walnut, Compact dimensions to suit smaller shooters • Features - Three Invector-Plus™ choke tubes [ Interactive Tour of the BPS' Features | BPS Rebate Info. ]
Click the items below to get more detailed information about that item.
Item # 012225607
Ga- 20, 3"
Barrel length- 22"
Overall length- 41 3/4"
Length of pull- 13 1/4"
Drop at Comb- 1 5/8"
Nom. Weigth- 6 lbs 14 oz.
MSRP $529

You can get them cheaper than that at a dealer MSRP is always high, by almost a hundred bucks sometimes.

Paul
Old 08-24-2008, 10:40 AM
Fork Horn

Another vote for the Remington 870. I would get a full size 20ga. with rifled barrel and cantilever scope mount. If the length of pull is to much, I would install a youth butt stock. As far as scope, I would mount a Nikon Pro-Staff 2-7x 32mm shotgun scope.

This setup would be much more accurate than a smooth bore barrel with a bead site. Especially for a beginnner.

I have the same set-up in 12ga. and I really like it. See attached photo of a 200 pound doe I shot through the heart at 110 yards.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff75/huntingthenorth/P1010002.jpg
Old 08-24-2008, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am going to throw you a curve ball here. Cabela's has a Marlin 1895 lever action .410 on sale. That would make a great shotgun for your wife. She could do about anything with it. Tom.
Old 08-24-2008, 03:58 PM
Boone & Crockett

I have a couple shotguns I may consider trading - please send picture of your wife..!!!

Remington has a 870combo I believe in the youth model. A 20 ga with a smooth bore with Remchokes and a rifled barrel. And the price won't break you.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:47 PM

I had a winchester 9410 and I honestly wouldn't recommend that kind of gun to someone for an all around gun. Maybe for squirrels and rabbits if you were an experienced shooter. Normally not a great gun for beginner unless you are just plinking. I say stick with the 20 ga.

Paul

Quick Reply: A Shotgun for the wife, Opinions...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.