Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bore Guides

Old 04-10-2008, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Bore Guides

What do you guys use? I just got a price for the Lucas guides and he wants $217 for seven guides (different calibers). Are they worth the price? Or should I get a cheaper universal one for the factory guns, and then get a Lucas for the .243 AI when it gets done?
Old 04-10-2008, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bore Guides

I’ve never heard of Lucas but I use Dewey for all my center fire rifles...
Old 04-10-2008, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

They are well worth the price on non standard type rifles..Steyrs Sakos etc
Old 04-11-2008, 06:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a plastic universal one and it does the job. I think I paid about $20 for mine.

Tom
Old 04-11-2008, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

I’ve never heard of Lucas but I use Dewey for all my center fire rifles...

They are made specifically for a rifle chamber and bore dimesnsions....Each guide will have the cartridge it is intended for put on it. FIrst rate quality and they have a insert that keeps the cleaning rod centered. Is it Anal ?Yes Is itnecessary ? When your cleaning a quality barrel.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

They are made specifically for a rifle chamber and bore dimesnsions....Each guide will have the cartridge it is intended for put on it. FIrst rate quality and they have a insert that keeps the cleaning rod centered. Is it Anal ? Yes Is it necessary ? When your cleaning a quality barrel.
Sounds interesting but Dewey also have different bore guides for different rifles and calibers. Maybe not as precise but they do a pretty good job of staying o/c in the chamber with the neat fitting O-rings towards the front of the guide and the machined aluminum bushing in the receiver to keep things nice and straight...
Old 04-11-2008, 01:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds interesting but Dewey also have different bore guides for different rifles and calibers. Maybe not as precise but they do a pretty good job of staying o/c in the chamber with the neat fitting O-rings towards the front of the guide and the machined aluminum bushing in the receiver to keep things nice and straight

I have both of them along with Sinclair, MTM and Stoney Point. They are a cadillac and the rest are Yugos . Another plus is the guy runs a business like it is supposed to be run the old fashioned way.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: oldelkhunter

Another plus is the guy runs a business like it is supposed to be run the old fashioned way.
Maybe other companies should take notes...
Old 04-11-2008, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys, I think I'll get a Lucas for the AI and get a universal one for the rest of the rifles. For now anyway.