Community
Big Game Hunting Moose, elk, mulies, caribou, bear, goats, and sheep are all covered here.

Guides

Old 05-05-2005, 08:20 AM

Default Guides

I just came across this sight today, I was a member of NAHC where I used their Message board and enjoyed talking with other hunters. Well my question to you guys is (and hopefully you can help) What kind of homework do you do to choose the right and reputable guide? So far I have been pretty successful in calling them and asking questions and following up on contacting the guides past clients (Sucessful and unsuccessful ones). I havn't spent over 6K on a hunt and all have been successful! Successful in the sense of harvesting an animal, but I want to start planning a combination hunt in British Columbia focusing on a Mountain Goat this is going to be an expensive adventure and of course every thought it questioned. This trip will have taken years to save for and as I am sure you guys have set and debated as I am who is the guy to go with? The one that will give me an honest effort?
Old 05-05-2005, 09:21 AM

Default RE: Guides

i wish i could help u, but i don't pay guides to hunt, or pay to go on private land. ther is alot of those people on this sight that do, so u should get some answers! have fun on the hunt!
Old 05-05-2005, 10:12 AM

Well manboy I live in Virginia I have some of the premier Duck Blinds on the Potomac River and have access to my fathers 90 acre farm which backs up to George Washington National forest and pay a sum of $300 a year to lease another 10 thousand acres as part of a limited hunt club. So I think I do OK here. As far as going to British Columbia hunting I think I would be best served going with someone who has horses, planes and knowledge of the land and animals since my time there would be limited as I work a full time job and raise a family. I am sure that there are others on this site that have the responsibilities that I do with limited time. We all can't be Jim Shockey. Thanks for your insight
Old 05-05-2005, 10:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Talk to hunters both successful and unsuccessful about the guide/outfitters you are considering. So this would require a guide/outfitter to actually give you reference #s for these individuals but any one that is decent/respected will gladly oblige. If they do not or give you a name or two then that should cause some flags to go off. I would also call the BC outfitters Association they may lend a hand, while it is in their best interest to support all outfitters/they have to support the guys who keep them busy -HUNTERS. Of course here and other sites is a good way to source info about a particular area or list of outfitters. I don't have any first hand knowledge of billy hunting BC, so can't provide you any specifics sorry.

boy, you sure like to dig/stick it...you had nothing to offer yet you still had to throw in your little comment about what/how you do and don't! Many guys look outside of what they can hunt locally or on their own, that doesn't make them poor hunter's but rather interested in broadening their horizon/love for the sport. I worked in the outfitting biz for a number of years and can say without a doubt many of the clients I had the pleasure to guide were every bit as capable in the hunting savy, knowledgable & passionate for the sport as I..their guide. In fact I learned a lot from many individuals. It just so happens they required myself to hunt game in my province!
Old 05-05-2005, 10:58 AM

Thanks Skeeter, Sorry if I came across wrong but I felt I was being catagorized as one of "Those People" I am not sure if it is good or bad? I am by no means a wealthy hunter I have to save for my trips and if I can be of any help to anyone trust me I would. Thanks Again
Old 05-05-2005, 11:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rebel I think you came across crystal in your original post and are not of the minority. While hunting has become a sport of big dollars still guys like us who have to save and want to make sure we get the best for our dollars to further our hunting profile. I am in deep desire to hunt dall's but can't possibly consider forking the cash out with 2 small kids and wife...but one day I will and it won't be a bargin basement trip either!

You are most definately better going with a guide/outfitter for knowledge but safety reasons as well! BC is a natural marvel but for the most part untamed wilderness that could leave a man in dire if he didn't know what he is doing, so needs to be respected. Pretty hard to keep the family rolling if you didn't return by saving a few bucks!

I wish you the best in finding your next trip and don't let someones narrow minded opinion skew your dream! []
Old 05-05-2005, 12:14 PM

ORIGINAL: Rebel Dog

I just came across this sight today, I was a member of NAHC where I used their Message board and enjoyed talking with other hunters. Well my question to you guys is (and hopefully you can help) What kind of homework do you do to choose the right and reputable guide? So far I have been pretty successful in calling them and asking questions and following up on contacting the guides past clients (Sucessful and unsuccessful ones). I havn't spent over 6K on a hunt and all have been successful! Successful in the sense of harvesting an animal, but I want to start planning a combination hunt in British Columbia focusing on a Mountain Goat this is going to be an expensive adventure and of course every thought it questioned. This trip will have taken years to save for and as I am sure you guys have set and debated as I am who is the guy to go with? The one that will give me an honest effort?
Honestly, the best way that I have found to book a hunt in an area where I am not familar with the outfitters is to treat it as starting a business or investing in the stock market or investing is anything else.

I'll surf the net, talk to guys in my local chapter of SCI or etc, look at record books for areas, call biologists for different areas, guide associations and etc. There are several big conventions and shows that draw lots of outfitters... always goto the big ones like SCI or Salt Lake Expo... and just collect info on every outfitter and file them when you get home.

From that research. I'll usually come up with a list of 10-20 potential outfitters in the areas that I have decided upon. I'll dedicate notebook to the hunt... Mt Goat Hunt 2007 or whatever. I'll leave the first 5-6 pages blank, that is where my questions will be written, and then give each outfitter a couple of pages in the notebook.

Then I'll start calling them BUT BE PREPARED!!! Before you call, in your notebook, you should have writtern where they hunt, their success, draw percentages and etc. Use your list of questions and just go down the list one by one... even if you believe that you know the answer to the question... STILL ASK IT!!! If it was the answer you expected, you just verified it but if it is something different, inquire further...

Seriously, ask which shows the guides are going to this year and go to a show or two... Meet the different guys...

From there, I'll ask for the contact info for every person that hunted with them last year and I'll randomly call 5 or 6 of them.

I'll make a call to the local Guide Association.

I'll make a call to the local wildlife enforcement office.

I'll make a call to a local chapter of SCI, RMEF, FNAWS, MDF and etc. I'll talk to two or three guys.

No BS, when I decide to book a hunt, I'll probably spend 40 hours on just basic research, about 100 hours on my cell phone, a plane ticket or two and a show entrance fee or two.

Seriously, when I decide to book an entire week with an outfitter, guys are lining up for spots. Their only questions are generally... What are the dates? How much is it? How much do you need for a deposit?

It will only take one bad experience (wasn't what was promised or what you expected) and you'll adopt an approach that is similar to mine. Frankly, when it comes to a bad trip, what stings more than the lost $$$ is the lost time and opportunity for a special time.

SA

PS. I always ask this question "what is the typical breakfast, lunch and dinner?" because you are stuck with it. There is no going to the market, McDonald's, or nuking of leftovers. Also, when you are expecting backpack food and etc... it isn't bad. However, when you are expecting good home cooked or even lodge type meals, you'll be bitter hunter when you get Kraft Mac & Cheese.
Old 05-05-2005, 02:11 PM

A good booking agent is a good place to start. Now, I'm not talking about USO (for those of you mashing at the bit to rehash that argument). My father has used a agent for a couple of decades. I've used him to book two hunts myself. They are very professional, no BS, talk to you to see what you really want out of your hunt and aren't afraid to tell you if they don't know. I personally had them tell me that I couldn't get what I wanted once. They would rather lose there comission and tell me that the hunt I wanted wasn't out there than BS me and send me on a hunt I wouldn't be happy with. That agency is Atcheson & Sons in Butte Montana. I always talk to Jack Jr. myself. [link]http://www.atcheson.com[/link]

OBTW I know of an outfitter in southern BC that has some quality Goats in his area. Last year I believe he took a 12" and a 11 3/4". PM me for info.
Old 05-05-2005, 09:39 PM
Fork Horn

seems like your going about it the right way to me.

for sure paying the money to a guide is scary, ya might lose out. i do watch out for those "too good to be true" offers. personally, i am usually a decent judge of character, and usually in my communications, i can tell if someone is pulling pud or not. really your not buying an animal, your buying into that the guide is knowledgable and honest. i always try to get a list of references who werent successful, might have saved me a couple years ago on a canadian moose hunt. good luck in your research
i know it isnt b.c., but if youll go as far as alaska, look up a guide named gus lameroux. i think he still does goats, and have it on the highest authority he is awesome

good luck in your goat quest, there near the top of my list too

brad
Old 05-06-2005, 08:27 AM
Spike

Rebel Dog,

One outfitter you might try are the Collingwood brothers out of Smithers, BC. I've hunted with them successfuly three times for goat, Stone's sheep, and mountain caribou. They have a super area and run essentially 100% on big goats. The only potential limitation is your physical condition. They occasionaly get a hunter who makes one climb for goats, decides he really dosn't want one that badly, and switches to caribou or moose. They have two areas they hunt: Spatsizi and Skeena. Both contain big goats and they take some B&C heads every year.

The Spatsizi is a limited access area and they hunt it by horseback and jet boat (and a lot of climbing). The Skeena area generally has somewhat bigger goats on the average, but is much more rugged and is a backpack hunt. It is a little cheaper to hunt than Spatz. The Collingwood Brothers have been in business for over 30 years and are ethical and, in my book, top notch.

Their website is: www.collingwoodbros.com Good luck.

Quick Reply: Guides

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.