Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Bore Guides

Old 06-08-2007, 03:38 PM
Typical Buck

Default Bore Guides

I have always shot my rifles to make sure they were accurate enough to reliably take deer. Lately, I have found myself going to the range more often, reading any and all info I can find on shooting, and spending more time in general cleaning, tuning etc. I have read on several sites and in many articles where people recommend using a bore guide when cleaning to prevent solvents from dripping into the action and to prevent wear and scratches of the throat.

How many people use a bore guide when cleaning rifles? If you do, why? What are the benefits? What kind do you use? Do you like it? Thanks for the info.
Old 06-08-2007, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bore Guides

I use them for the reasons you said,better safe than sorry...
Old 06-09-2007, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will shoot a dirty rifle before I will clean one without a bore guide. Especially on my varmint rifles that get shot quite abit and cleaned allot
Old 06-09-2007, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use Dewey bore guides and cleaning rods. Wouldn’t go without...
Old 06-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Boone & Crockett

Iuse bore/muzzle guides and coated cleaning rods on all of my rifles. Getting crap and tool marks in the chamber is not a good thing.That areacan be damaged just as much as the bore. And solvent needs to stay where it belongs.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I would use them for the reasons you stated as well, won't clean a rifle without one anymore. I use a rod stop also in case I'm feeling aggressive.. :-)
Old 06-10-2007, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

The rod don't go down the barrel of any of my guns without a bore guide. For quicky in the field cleaning a bore snake does an adequate job.
Old 06-11-2007, 07:33 AM

I use a bore guide as well.
Old 06-12-2007, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'd rather be safe than sorry, so I use one any time I clean my bolt action rifles.They make the jobless messyand that's not a bad thing either. I prefer the ones made by Sinclair Int'l. They're individually sized to fit specific rifle actionsrather than being a "one size fits all" product.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yes it is wise to use one. Another tip is to store your rifle muzzle down after a thorough cleaning for the same reasons.

Quick Reply: Bore Guides

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.