Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 H&r Ultra slug now what >

H&r Ultra slug now what

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

H&r Ultra slug now what

Old 12-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Site Bouncer

Originally Posted by OldBuckstalker1187
This is something I have been hearing alot of lately. I was just wondering how much " dialing in " we might be doing after switching from rifled slugs to sabots? As both behave VERY differently out of a shotgun. The rifled slugs Lob/ arc in the air similar to a shotput throw. Where as the sabots seem flatter shooting out to about 80-90 yards and then gradually drop, more like a rifle does. When I shoot rifled/ foster style slugs, I am getting about 4.5" groups at 70 yards. But when I shoot sabots out of my rifled barrels I tend to get 1.5" - 2" groups at 110-125 yds. I was just curios as to how much dialing in we are talking here. If it isn't all that much, I might just get back into bringing out my rifled barrels again. which would be nice.
OldBuck,

My process for sighting in a rifled slug gun is simple. I first laser bore sight it. I then shoot cheap foster slugs out to 50 yards and get them to about 3-4 in groups (or better if possible). I then clean the gun and start shooting the Sabot slugs out at 100 yards until I have as tight a group as I can get with that slug. It's at this point I try different brands to see which I can group the best with. This will cost money and time but in the end the gun is zeroed in and more importantly my confidence with the particular set up being used is very high.

I try to buy the fastest moving foster slugs I can. You can buy some upward of 1700fps. While they won't group as well as the Sabots, they will be close in velocity...close enough so that you won't have to do much to zero in your Sabots at 100 yards.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:40 PM
Spike

Default h&r w/nikon scope

If you are using the nikon slughunter scope you need to be sighting it in on the cross hairs at 50 yards. 12 or 20 gauge. then check your distances 1st circle 100 yards 2nd circle 150 yards top of post/cross hair 200 yards.
I shoot the 12 sst's out of my rem. 1100 rifled barrel and the combo is deadly. Have h&r 20g and n. slughunter comdo on order.