Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Whats the Feeling on Savages? >

Whats the Feeling on Savages?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Whats the Feeling on Savages?

Old 03-01-2003, 04:37 PM

Default RE: Whats the Feeling on Savages?

I owned one 270 in 110.Gun was not as nice as the remington and winchester guns I own .Shot alright but nothing to brag about
Old 03-01-2003, 06:38 PM

Well, you already know what I think. The groups I' ve shot with mine speak for themselves. The action doesn' t seem any slooppier than any others. There is a screw that hold the bolt hande in place on older Savages that tends to work it' s way lose. That probably accounts for some of the sloppiness some have talked about.

They are one of the stronger bolt action designs out there. The new ones with the Accu-Trigger probably have the best trigger on the market at this point. The stocks are flimsy - but nothing that an acraglas kit and a couple of valve rods won' t take care of.

Anybody can get a " good" one or a " bad" one of anything. It' s easy to trash a rifle because of one that doesn' t shoot good or you have a problem with one of them. However, the reality is every make and model of gun out there has let SOMEONE down, period.. By the same token it' s way too easy to over hype something because you have only one, but it shoots real well. To get a really accurate picture of rifles - it' s best to base it on shooting at least a dozen of each. I' ve shot many Savage, Remington, Ruger, and Winchesters - the Savage has been the most accurate on average. Ruger was by far the worst.

Overall, my impression of Savage rifles are they make many owners of more expensive rifles very mad because they as good if not better than much more expensive rifles.
Old 03-01-2003, 09:57 PM

My Savage 110 is great. The trigger is fine, it' s accurate, durable etc. I' ll probably only buy Savage. I shoot the heck out of mine and I' ve never had ANY problems. Savage rifles are great.
Old 03-01-2003, 10:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

They aren' t fancy, but they sure can shoot, a cousin of mine has a heavy barreled .22-250, in the 12FV as well if I recall correctly, he' s had a little more than just bedding and lapping done, not much though, said he hasn' t paid more for work than the rifle yet, and it' ll .25MOA out to 450yrds, it' s a heck of a shooter. I love savages, although I' ll probably never own another one, because I' m such an avid Ruger fan, but there isn' t a better valued gun available.
Old 03-01-2003, 11:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have never paid much attention to them but a friend shoots one in 243win and you can' t get much tighter groups than he does .They have some in a auction I' m going to tomorrow ,maybe I' ll get lucky .
Old 03-02-2003, 09:23 PM

Iv got a moldel 110 30/06 and put it in a boyds lamait stock and Ill tell you you can not find a better gun for the money Iv ownd the 700s and the 70 and all that stuff but lookes dont put meat on the tabel if I wer in the markit for a new rifel it would be a savage good luck
Old 03-03-2003, 03:53 PM
bigcountry

Just an opinion. But I really don' t like them. I not only look at groups when a gun is involved. To start with, I just don' t like the actions. The bolt seems very sloppy. I hate the stocks on most of there guns. I don' t like the fit with the action. So with all that, until I get really poor, I don' t like them. I mean about 10 years ago when I was on a budget, that would be the only gun for me. Only good thing I see with them is the barrel. I might like them if I replaced the stock, trigger, and bedded the thing properly but the foundation of the rifle is cheap. I mean the action of a rifle is the foundation. Barrels can be replaced, triggers replaced, stocks replaced but you are stuck with that action. For me, I will stick with 700 or mod70 actions and krieger barrels, and HS Precision stocks. I didn' t believe people when they were claiming the feeding to be flawed until I saw all the shells pop out of a savage action.

Old 03-03-2003, 11:30 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 03-04-2003, 01:06 AM

It always amazes me when people down savages for their " cheaply made actions" then in the same breath praise remington M700' s which has the cheapest made action out there. I lump rifles into two catagories, (1) Well designed actions worth working on to build a " keeper" rifle, and (2) cheaply made rifles that you buy to shoot but aren' t worth spending extra money fixing up. Examples of the keeper rifles are anything with a mauser 98 action, winchester M70 CRF' s, dakotas, etc. Examples of the cheap shoot ' em as they came rifles are savages, remington 700' s, sake m75' s, howa' s, winchester push feeds, etc. In other words push feeds in general. I have no problems with anyone who owns a m700, however I question the wisdom of buying one when you can buy a savage for less money that will function just as reliably and shoot better to boot. In the end, with both rifles you still have a cheaply made push feed, so why not buy the one that shoots better and costs less?
Old 03-04-2003, 02:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nothing but praise for Savage rifles. I have owned at least 50. Had one problem with one, the holes drilled and tapped for the scope bases were not lined up straight. They replaced it shipping and all. Yes YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR THEY HAVE A GOOD PRICE AND THEY ARE A GOOD GUN. Price is not always linked with Quality. You can pay a much higher price for junk.

Quick Reply: Whats the Feeling on Savages?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.