Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Whats the Feeling on Savages? >

Whats the Feeling on Savages?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Whats the Feeling on Savages?

Old 02-09-2003, 02:02 PM

Default Whats the Feeling on Savages?

I haven't seen much on Savage rifles so I hope I'm not opening a can of worms here.I like Savage guns and have bought several in different calibers and styles and always find them to be accurate,reasonable,and light weight.I always adjust the triggers and lap in the bolts and other than that just do a lot of hunting and shooting with them.I hear them called ugly but don't find them to be ugly myself and love the 16FSS stainless weather warrior series for hunting up here in Maine.Anyone else like Savages or am I all alone on this one?I have a 12FV in 22-250 with the heavy 26" barrel that will shoot honest 1/2" groups all day with Hornady 55gr VX factory loads and it box stock except for a trigger tweak.

woods
Old 02-09-2003, 02:43 PM

Default RE: Whats the Feeling on Savages?

i think the savages are a good deal for the money, the only complaints i've heard are that they are ugly. I dont personaly own one as my tastes are blue/steel and mauser actions, but for a no-nonsence rifle i think they are a good value.

Browning-2000 AKA CMB3366
Old 02-09-2003, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Best buy on the market. I have 3 already and if I needed another bolt gun it would be a Savage. Accurate, dependable and affordable. What more could you ask for. Sure they could pretty up the stock a bit but all my rifles are tools, not wall hangers. They get bounced around in trucks, in boats, carried through brush and briars and used hard. I don't want to have to worry about scratching up a handcrafted stock or dinging the checkering.
Old 02-09-2003, 03:54 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-09-2003, 04:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Unless Savage has made major league changes in the triggers, safetys, magazines and feeding issues.....accuracy don't mean everything.....I wouldn't give you a dime for a truck load of the damn things!!!
Old 02-09-2003, 05:35 PM

I bought a new one about ten years ago. Cheap and accurate but the trigger was terrible. After shooting about four boxes of shells it started misfiring. Changed the brand of shells and it still happened. I had it fixed and got rid of it as fast as possible. I will never own another. I know this is only one out of many that were sold but it left me with a bad taste. Just my 2cents

Edited by - Down wind on 02/10/2003 20:33:57
Old 02-09-2003, 08:10 PM

JonN,
The answer to your question is yes.

KC
Old 02-09-2003, 09:02 PM

I own two 110L, one in .308 and the other in .270. Both shoot sub 2" at 200 yds. If I would take the time and work up some loads, Im pretty sure they would do better than that. I havent had any probs with them, tweaked the trigger a little (but you have to do that on everything now a days) and have had no problems. Good luck!

Why am I sittin here on this stupid PC when I could be huntin'
Old 02-09-2003, 09:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't care for their sloppy actions. Good luck.
Old 02-10-2003, 02:10 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

Quick Reply: Whats the Feeling on Savages?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.