Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 remington 700 300 ultra mag >

remington 700 300 ultra mag

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

remington 700 300 ultra mag

Old 01-31-2008, 11:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: remington 700 300 ultra mag

Perhaps he meant it as a simple statement of fact...
Old 01-31-2008, 11:59 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

Perhaps he meant it as a simple statement of fact...
I sincerely doubt it. You have eld, skeeter, and even James on here. Not sure they have the experience with the RUM like I do, but definately more than guns than I do. Looks like another troll with nothing in his life to me.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

BC - Its just that you seem to do a lot of ball busting in here. Some guys just aren't as knowledgeable about firearms as others and they don't quite put in to words exactly what they mean.
I figured that would get your attention and just to be a bit more tolerant of some of the posts if you're going to reply.
Oh and BTW, I have close to 50 years exp with all types of firearms and have been hunting for over 40 of those years in the eastern states, western states and BC and quite successful. I don't think I'm by no means an expert but I've been around enough to know what I am talking about. I abide by the adage - Its better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're an idiot, than to open it an remove all doubt. If I don't know something about a topic, I won't post except to ask a question myself.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:10 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

BC - Its just that you seem to do a lot of ball busting in here. Some guys just aren't as knowledgeable about firearms as others and they don't quite put in to words exactly what they mean.
I figured that would get your attention and just to be a bit more tolerant of some of the posts if you're going to reply.
Oh and BTW, I have close to 50 years exp with all types of firearms and have been hunting for over 40 of those years in the eastern states, western states and BC and quite successful. I don't think I'm by no means an expert but I've been around enough to know what I am talking about. I abide by the adage - Its better to keep your mouth shut and let people think you're an idiot, than to open it an remove all doubt. If I don't know something about a topic, I won't post except to ask a question myself.
But what does any of that have to do with 300RUM and its "range"???? I think you finallyremoved all doubt. Did you not read the thread title or you just are posting to be posting? Seems quite evident to me?

Old 01-31-2008, 12:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: glockman55

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

It just amazes me that someone would buy a 300RUM and not really know much about them or ballistics.
[/blockquote]

Ballistic charts are one thing, being able to shoot is another.
Good choice, shoot a bunch and get used to it.
[/blockquote]

Really???
Now tell me you don't mean to be busting on this poor guy? Seems that way to me. Don't get me wrong, I read your posts as well as all the others and sometimes I do pick up some pointers. Just suggest you lighten up a bit on some of your replies.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:36 PM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: glockman55

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

It just amazes me that someone would buy a 300RUM and not really know much about them or ballistics.
[/blockquote]

Ballistic charts are one thing, being able to shoot is another.
Good choice, shoot a bunch and get used to it.
[/blockquote]

Really???
Now tell me you don't mean to be busting on this poor guy? Seems that way to me. Don't get me wrong, I read your posts as well as all the others and sometimes I do pick up some pointers. Just suggest you lighten up a bit on some of your replies.
Ok, Point taken. But how many times have you been to the gun store and see someone who goes out and shoots only once a year pick up some crazy gun (like 8mm rem mag or 30-378) and go around telling everyone they can now shoot out to 800 yards? 500 yards is not a chump shot. And you need to know a few things before you pull that trigger. Every year at the range I see the masses come out for the first time all year in Oct. bruise up thier shoulders, blast thru 2 boxes of shells and still not on the paper. I understand, they bought a gun thinkingit was the do it all gun.

Now, some could argue, they have to learn somewhere, and why not start with a 300RUM. And it might excite them to learn how to shoot a gun like that and learn more about windage, and long range. Some could argue, its too much gun for most, and they will pick up bad habits and possibly not want to shoot the thing. May develop a flinch.

Its none of my business, what the guys dad bought. But 95% of us on this page knows there is more to range than the energy it strikes an object.

Old 01-31-2008, 12:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well I didn't mean to jump all over you but I'm glad you finally realized my point. I've worked at a gun shop and actually had customers wanting, say 270 ammo and when I handed them a box of Remington .270 they said they couldn't use it cause they had a Winchester rifle! Its guys like that that scare the crap out of me and the same with the guys that buy the 'magnums' because they can't kill a deer with a 270 or 30-06 or some other 'standard' chambering.
There is one person in this area, I won't call him a hunter, that couldn't get any deer with his '06 so he went out and bought himself a 338WM. He has gut shot or shot the leg of more than a few deer that one of my relation has had to dispatch.
ps: I hope we are still on speaking terms--
Old 02-01-2008, 12:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

No expert here. I wish my shoulder could take what I consider required to be proficent with a 300RUM, reality is due to injury I can not. Though I have experience with theRUM and in particular the 300RUM as I shoot, load and huntwith a couple. Can say I have sat behind them and know what to expect at both ends.

My point was simply asking "how far can I" is a question that just can't be answered by myself or others, as the answer lies withineach individuals ability not the rifle he or she is pointing. Itdoes send up a few flags in my mind about knowledge, experience and ability. I can honestly say I thought the exact same thing as BC originally stated. Instead chosing to comment on ability being the factor that dictates range as I have seen very few hunters out do their perspective weapons.