Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Tough decision to make >

Tough decision to make

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tough decision to make

Old 12-02-2007, 07:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Tough decision to make

Keep the rifle as it is, except maybe a good scope and rings and then go out and create some more memories, scratches and dings to pass down to your own son or daughter. Dont worry about beating up the stock anymore, I dont think that your pops will mind.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:16 PM

How old is that Bushnell scope? Some of the older ones are pretty nice. Rings are easy to replace. Keep the stock, if it already has some dings, it won't mind a few more. As for the .30-06 or .308 being marginal, those are opinions, and everybody's got one. I only have one rifle, a .308, and I believe it will kill anything I hit with it.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Folically Challenged

ORIGINAL: linvillegorge

ORIGINAL: heeze gutshot shortee

linville...DM is rite..youve got a hunting rifle...just get a new scope and keep shooting...Hunting weapons are not runway models...at least, not to me.....scratches and scars...what memories! I read your post and say" hey kid sell the gun to me" , cause , imop, youre not really appreciatin it for what it is.............so how much???
I think you misunderstood my intention here. I don't want to replace the rifle. I'm not upset that it has a few scratches and dings. I just want to keep the rifle is as close to the same condition as my Dad gave it to me as possible. That's why I was considering a synthetic stock. I'd hate to slip on a scree slope and take off a side of the stock or something like that. It's not a matter of wanting to replace the rifle because I don't WANT to hunt with it, it's a matter of FEAR of possibly ruining a heirloom. Other than dogging bears (where the rifle got all the dings - and the reason my Dad never put an expensive scope on it), it's been a tree stand whitetail rifle. I could still use it for such pursuits and use another rifle for chasing elk through canyons.
Here's what you do:

1) Invite your Dad over for whiskeys & steaks, and spend the evening with him as he reminisces about his hunts with the rifle. Be sure to get some of it caught on cassette tape or video tape. This will describe the gun as you received it: HIS gun.

2) Replace the scope with upgraded glass: at least $150. I'd recommend VXII, FFII, 3200, & Browning as a good starting level, but spend more if you can. Get some good rings, too. Leupold Dual Dovetails are rock-solid.

3) Start creating your OWN memories with the rifle. That stock is the recorded history of the rifle. You'll have a baseline of those scratches that came before you, & you'll get to pass on the stories of those that accumulated under your ownership. If the faded bluing is resulting in rust, then re-blue it. Otherwise, keep it as-is. If the bore is shot or rusted, then go ahead & re-barrel it.

4) Plan on having your son (or daughter) over for whiskeys & steaks in the future, at which time you can recount your own stories of both the hunts you've taken it on, as well of those of your Dad. You'll then pass the rifle on toyour offspringto start making their OWN memories.

Heirlooms are great, but safe-queenrifles haveno stories to tell. This rifle can be a way to span the generations, and link you all together.

FC
Yeah. Ya know what, you're right. I know all the stories behind all those scratches and dings because my Dad is the one who put them there. That's the thing. I'm still thinking of this as HIS gun. In my head, this is still his gun. I just don't think it's really sunk into me that this is MY gun now. I wasn't looking to really upgrade this gun out of lack of appreciation. Instead, I was afraid to use the gun, as he did for many years, out of fear of messing it up. But to not use it as he did would be more disrespectful than going out using it and potentially messing it up.

That settles it. A new base, rings, and glass for the gun and it will live on. Thanks man, I really appreciate it. I do.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:21 PM

ORIGINAL: XPatriot

How old is that Bushnell scope? Some of the older ones are pretty nice. Rings are easy to replace. Keep the stock, if it already has some dings, it won't mind a few more. As for the .30-06 or .308 being marginal, those are opinions, and everybody's got one. I only have one rifle, a .308, and I believe it will kill anything I hit with it.
The scope is probably 30 years old. It was a cheapo scope back then. Dad didn't want to spend a lot of money on it because he knew it'd probably have to be replaced fairly often due to the beating that it'd take while dogging bears. It never had to be replaced, but it's certainly taken it's toll. It needs to be replaced.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:41 PM

here's a quick picture of the gun

Old 12-03-2007, 03:35 PM

I still use a scope from one of my grandfather's guns, it's an old 6 power Weaver fixed scope with a chip in the eyepiece. It's at least 45 years old and it has never fogged up or lost zero. They don't make them like that anymore.

As for the rifle, I would leave her just as she is (with a new scope) and do upkeep as needed. My grandpa was the sort to use rustoleum on anything, so I just use the gun anyway I want. All he would care about is the gun earning it's keep. Enjoy your weapon!
Old 12-03-2007, 03:53 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: linvillegorge

here's a quick picture of the gun
Old 12-03-2007, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

The old gun I got from my dad has been dropped down the side of a mountain, banged around and the scope has never been hurt. The walnut stock is almost black with age now and it has several startches but I don't mind them they are reminder it was used not just sitting in a safe. You made the right decision to use it like it is and enjoy it that is what your dad would want.