Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Tough decision to make >

Tough decision to make

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tough decision to make

Old 12-01-2007, 11:00 PM

Default Tough decision to make

Alright, here's my situation:

My Dad gave me his 1972 Remington Model 700 .308 right before I moved to Colorado a few months ago. I've taken the rifle to a gunsmith and it checks out in great condition. Being a 35 year old rifle, it will need a re-blueing job within the next couple of years. The stock is in good shape, but has several scratches and dings in it from years of dogging bears in the Appalachians of western NC. I'd really like to keep the stock in this condition as this is the way I know the rifle. I was thinking of getting a synthetic stock to drop it in for elk hunting. The other thing is that it just has a cheapo Bushnell scope and cheapo rings that both need to be replaced. I was looking into the Nikon Buckmaster, not sure which bases and rings. Just to get the scope, bases, and rings, I'm figuring around $300. A synthetic stock would probably be another $100 or so. So now we're talking around $400. The re-blueing will be $125 - $150. So let's just say the whole deal sits at $550. This is all to get this gun in tip-top shape to go elk hunting. I wasfiguring onusing the Federal Premium P308G round which is a high energy round with a 180gr Nosler Partition witharound 3000 ft.-lbs. energy at the muzzle.Some say the .308 is a marginal elk round, but with thisload, you're virtually mirroring standard factory loads of the.30-06. I just don't understand how the .30-06 is considered such a great elk round while someconsider the .308 marginal when there simply isn't a great deal of difference when it comes toavailable factory loads. I figure keep shots at 250 yards or less and I'll be just fine.

Right now at Bass Pro, they have a Howa rifle with a Nikko-Stirling Nighteater 3-10x42 scope in 300mag all for under $500 on the clearance rack - new. I don't know much about either. I know the Howa is made in Japan and also produces the Weatherby Vanguard actions, so I assume it's a decent gun. I know even less about the scope, except that it's European and that so far what I've been able to gather, it's comparable to a Leupold VX-I or Bushnell 3200 quality wise. Either way, a decent scope. I'm just thinking that it may be too good of a deal to pass up. Anybody have anything else to share about the rifle or the scope?

So, my question is... What would you do? Spruce up the sentimental rifle your Dad gave you and take it out? Or, go buy the new .300mag and keep your Dad's rifle in the same (good) condition it is in and re-scope it and re-blue it later?
Old 12-01-2007, 11:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Tough decision to make

Howa rifles are excellent value for the money.The vanguard is basically a Howa 1500 with the weatherby stamp on it.However my experience with nikko sterling is that I would never trust one after seeing a few with broken crosshairs from the recoil of a 338win mag and 300 win mag.I would buy the howa rifle,and mount a bushnell elite 3x9x40 scope.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:12 PM

Cool. I figure for the price it's just tough to pass up. As long as the bases and rings are decent, swapping out the scope wouldn't be that big of a deal. I could just throw the Nikko-Stirling on eBay or something and just take whatever I get. If I could get $75 or so for it, that'd help out towards a better scope.
Old 12-02-2007, 09:14 AM
DM

I'd just upgrade the scope on the 308, and enjoy it the way your dad did! You would have to buy a scope for a new rifle anyway...

Who cares if the stock has a scratch or two, or the blueing is worn?? Those are things that happen to any gun that gets hunted with much...

Those 180 NP's will have no problems with any elk at any range you "should be shooting" at one...

Use the $$ you will save, to practise and enjoy something spl. from your dad!!

DM
Old 12-02-2007, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

linville...DM is rite..youve got a hunting rifle...just get a new scope and keep shooting...Hunting weapons are not runway models...at least, not to me.....scratches and scars...what memories! I read your post and say" hey kid sell the gun to me" , cause , imop, youre not really appreciatin it for what it is.............so how much???
Old 12-02-2007, 10:05 AM

My dad would say to the Tuttles - American Chopper - that chrome won't get you home!

All the dodads and geegaw's in the world won't make a good rifle better.

Weaver detachable bases and a Nikon scope with enough power to do a hair analysis is all the more you will need to get the job done.

You can upgrade to Leupold bases if you want, but the blueing will have nothing to do with the accuracy of the firearm.

You will not HAVE to Have a new stock to make the gun better than what it already is! As long as the gun holds ZERO and doesn't give you any problems - there is no reason to replace it with something better.

My X brother in law was a guide at a known Colorado outfitter camp near Gunnison and all he ever carried was a Remington Model 6 Pump action 30/06 with a Leupold scope.

One year he got the urge to go out and buy one of them $1000 Weatherby rifles with a $1000 scope. It didn't get him anymore deer than what he already got before. What it did do was get him a divorce when my sister found the bill from the gunshop.

How can you tell your wife - the bread winner of the family, that she has to drive a 1986 1/2 Ford ******. While you are hunting 3 weeks out of the year with a new custom built Weatherby rifle? Needless to say - he no longerguide's for Elk in Colorado anymore. Household bills, spousal support and child support takes up most of his paycheck.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Super Moderator

I'd replace the rings and scope on your dad's rifle and just keep it the way it is. Buy another rifle and fix that up if you want but keep your heirlooms (dad's rifle) the way it was. And enjoy hunting with your dad's rifle.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Why worry howthe rifle looks. If it shoots good put a new scope on it and use it the way it is. I have my dads old Marlin .30/30 that he bought in 59 and put a Bushnell Banner scope on it. There are better scopes out now and the stock has a lot of stratches on it but I use it just the way it is. I have other rifles to use but I like to take it out and use it.
Old 12-02-2007, 10:51 AM

ORIGINAL: heeze gutshot shortee

linville...DM is rite..youve got a hunting rifle...just get a new scope and keep shooting...Hunting weapons are not runway models...at least, not to me.....scratches and scars...what memories! I read your post and say" hey kid sell the gun to me" , cause , imop, youre not really appreciatin it for what it is.............so how much???
I think you misunderstood my intention here. I don't want to replace the rifle. I'm not upset that it has a few scratches and dings. I just want to keep the rifle is as close to the same condition as my Dad gave it to me as possible. That's why I was considering a synthetic stock. I'd hate to slip on a scree slope and take off a side of the stock or something like that. It's not a matter of wanting to replace the rifle because I don't WANT to hunt with it, it's a matter of FEAR of possibly ruining a heirloom. Other than dogging bears (where the rifle got all the dings - and the reason my Dad never put an expensive scope on it), it's been a tree stand whitetail rifle. I could still use it for such pursuits and use another rifle for chasing elk through canyons.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: linvillegorge

ORIGINAL: heeze gutshot shortee

I think you misunderstood my intention here. I don't want to replace the rifle. I'm not upset that it has a few scratches and dings. I just want to keep the rifle is as close to the same condition as my Dad gave it to me as possible. That's why I was considering a synthetic stock. I'd hate to slip on a scree slope and take off a side of the stock or something like that. It's not a matter of wanting to replace the rifle because I don't WANT to hunt with it, it's a matter of FEAR of possibly ruining a heirloom. Other than dogging bears (where the rifle got all the dings - and the reason my Dad never put an expensive scope on it), it's been a tree stand whitetail rifle. I could still use it for such pursuits and use another rifle for chasing elk through canyons.
Here's what you do:

1) Invite your Dad over for whiskeys & steaks, and spend the evening with him as he reminisces about his hunts with the rifle. Be sure to get some of it caught on cassette tape or video tape. This will describe the gun as you received it: HIS gun.

2) Replace the scope with upgraded glass: at least $150. I'd recommend VXII, FFII, 3200, & Browning as a good starting level, but spend more if you can. Get some good rings, too. Leupold Dual Dovetails are rock-solid.

3) Start creating your OWN memories with the rifle. That stock is the recorded history of the rifle. You'll have a baseline of those scratches that came before you, & you'll get to pass on the stories of those that accumulated under your ownership. If the faded bluing is resulting in rust, then re-blue it. Otherwise, keep it as-is. If the bore is shot or rusted, then go ahead & re-barrel it.

4) Plan on having your son (or daughter) over for whiskeys & steaks in the future, at which time you can recount your own stories of both the hunts you've taken it on, as well of those of your Dad. You'll then pass the rifle on toyour offspringto start making their OWN memories.

Heirlooms are great, but safe-queenrifles haveno stories to tell. This rifle can be a way to span the generations, and link you all together.

FC

Quick Reply: Tough decision to make

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.