Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

tough decision

Old 11-09-2004, 08:56 AM

Default tough decision

I had a nice symetrical 8 pointer. (out to his ears and around 11 inches tall) I was hunting in a climber treestand and I was on a hill facing downward. Well it was 6:30 am and I heard movement behind me and to my left, which is my bow side. I looked back and I saw this nice body deer coming down the hill walking on the same path that I came in on. I was about 15 ft. high and I was trying to plan out a shot. Well I couldn't shoot him coming down the hill b/c he would've seen me draw back. So at the path that he was coming he would have gave me a good shot in front of me quarting away. So thats what was my plan. Anyway he came right underneith of me... so close that I could have spit on him. So he stopped under my stand and just froze. He smelled me. And was out of there. I was wondering if shooting directly down on a deer is a good shot. You know spinning him and yet still trying to get a lung or a heart shot with it. HELP PLEASE....[&:]
Old 11-09-2004, 09:00 AM

Default RE: tough decision

I have had a friend try that shot on a bruiser. Thier is a lot of bone and stuff to go through. If you get to the lungs, You will probably only get one lung. Then you arrow will have a tough time getting a pass through. If you don't get a pass through, there won't be any blood due to the entrance being on top. So your left trailing a buck a couple hundred yards with no blood. Not fun to me.[:-]

RBBH
Old 11-09-2004, 09:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

You did good by passing. Its not an easy shot to make and find your deer.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:05 AM

what about the quarting away shot, and trying to sneak in behind the shoulder blades...is that a good shot?
Old 11-09-2004, 09:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is the perfect shot to me.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

A quartering away shot is very good. Once it gets to be too straight away it gets bad again, but a quartered away, aiming such that your arrow buries into the opposite shoulder is deadly.

Edited to add
That the steeper the quartering away, you'll want to actually aim a little further back on the deer. Good rule of thumb is to line up the leg of the far shoulder.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:18 AM

how do you become a sponsered hunter I am very interested in becoming one how do I do it...
Old 11-09-2004, 09:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

XTREMEOCTANE04, congratulations and give yourself a pat on the back. You absolutely did the right thing. You were not sure of the shot and held back. Personally, I would NEVER take that shot. You will not get both lungs. And you would be very LUCKY in recovering a single lunged deer. The only thing you could hope for is a heart, and that would be a shot through a lot of bone, which is not good. I'm glad to see you kept your wits about you and did the right things. Congrats!
Old 11-09-2004, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Absolutely! Unless your sure of the shot your better off not taking it![&:]
Old 11-09-2004, 10:03 AM
Boone & Crockett

If you did not feel comfortable ,You did Right

Quick Reply: tough decision

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.