Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
All Around Hand Gun >

All Around Hand Gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

All Around Hand Gun

Old 01-19-2003, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: All Around Hand Gun

By saying I don't plan on my .45 acp jamming, I meant to imply that I would be afraid to trust my life to it just because semiautos are capable of jamming. You don't plan on your ignition failing in your DA rounds (or any round), and I don't plan on my .45 jamming, I don't plan on it because it hasn't ever happened, despite the fact that it is possible, kinda like I don't plan on getting shot walking across the street, despite the fact it is possible, and so I am not afraid to cross the street. I count on my .45 acp the same as I do my .45 colts and my .44's

The thing that I'd risk jamming for is the cycle rate and ease, I shoot my .45 a lot, so my safety is habitually engrained, which also gives me the ability to point and click like I had a target pistol (3" groups at 75yrds free shooting/unrested one handed). If someone wakes me up in my apartment in the middle of the night, they're already closer than I want to be, so even though I'm groggy, I guarantee I can get the safety off and lead flying fast, but I can empty my 8 from my acp before I can get my 5th shot rolling from one of my .44's loaded with weak CAS rounds (less than 1000fps at muzzle), I've timed it, so if I only have x amount of time, and those shots were it, I can put nearly twice the lead in them and reload if necessary in less than half the time as a DA.

Screw the 10 ring, keep them in the zero!!!
Old 01-19-2003, 10:54 PM

....not to be argumentative here, (well, ok, maybe a LITTLE ) whoever said that revolvers don't jam is just wrong. They can, and do jam.. let fouling build up on the cylinder face, or a powder flake get under the ejector star, and you can lock one up in a heartbeat.
But, you are correct, that for the most part, revolvers are pretty simple to operate.

"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness..those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Santayana
Old 01-20-2003, 05:28 AM

I'd throw a vote for the .357 wheelgun, also. Nearly all of My handguns have been S&W, and I think You can still pick up a Police Dept. trade-in model 64 in .357 mag for around $200.00 bucks. I owned a model 66 for years, and the wife had a model 64, and I actually liked the 64 better because it had fixed sights, and wouldn't hang up on clothing or pillow cases. And the 64 would shoot every load I put through it to the same point of impact. Lead and jacketed bullets in both .38 and .357 mag all shot the same at 30 yards. Very accurate and reliable.
Old 01-20-2003, 07:23 PM

I truely enjoy shooting my .22cal handgun,Ruger mk2 competition,cant miss and cheap to shoot

ALL DAY, EVERY DAY,IN THE WOODS...
Old 01-20-2003, 08:01 PM

I carry a Smith 5906 auto 9MM 16 shot .I don't worry about jams either ,my Smith & Wesson doesn't jam..and with a 4 in barrel its accurate..A lot of law enforcement use them..
Old 01-21-2003, 12:10 PM

No mercy,
You need to watch American Shooter sometime, as far a cyclic rate of an auto. The single action revolver can cycle faster than an auto(and hit the target). Myself I have a Browning highpower 9mm, but after reading these posts I am rethinking the 357 that is sitting quietly in the gun case. Just my .02
Old 01-21-2003, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

mark1494, you sure you don't mean double-action revolver? You have to thumb cock a single.
Old 01-21-2003, 01:42 PM

4" barrel fixed or adjustable sights (personally i would get adj.) GP100 from ruger. the .357 is the all around gun. and thats pretty much the end of any arguement. other things will do, but personally i dont think they are as good.

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass