Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Poll: Grip Open Hand  or Closed Hand >

Poll: Grip Open Hand or Closed Hand

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Poll: Grip Open Hand or Closed Hand

Old 06-09-2006, 06:19 AM

Default Poll: Grip Open Hand or Closed Hand

How does everyone grip their bow. I have always held the bow too tight and had torque problems. Now after 30 years of shooting I am going to change my grip to a much looser open hand. Already did and the results have been great. How do other hold their bow??

Old 06-09-2006, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Poll: Grip Open Hand or Closed Hand

Compounds pretty much get a loose grip. Longbow gets a closed grip, not much wood on the riser, stabilizing properties come directly from the arm.
Old 06-09-2006, 06:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

I used to have a "death grip" on my first bow. [&o] After some major torque issues, I asked a bow shop for advice and the guy quickly corrected my grip and my stance.

Now with my new Reflex Highlander, I use a partial open grip, where I relax my bow hand and cradle the bow in the webbing of my hand. I also rest my pinky into a lower section of the grip, which is just that particular style of grip on the Reflex Highlander / Hoyt UltraSport riser & grip configuration.

I guess it is safe to say, use whatever grip is comfortable but not too tight to cause severe torque issues.

Old 06-09-2006, 06:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

I place the grip of my bow directly below my thumb on the meaty part of the pad, w/ my knuckles at a 45 degree angle and my fingers relaxed. Not open, not closed, just resting there relaxed halfway between. I wish I had video online of my whole bow hand specifically, but this one will give you a good idea.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v283/ringostar40/?action=view¤t=MOV00959.flv
Old 06-09-2006, 07:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rick, is your camera mounted on a tri-pod or is someone holding it? Just wondering.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

Rick, is your camera mounted on a tri-pod or is someone holding it? Just wondering.
Someone was holding that one. Usually it is done on a tripod though for most of the work I do on camera.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:50 AM

I hold mine the same way as Rick.

Leads to a consistent and accurate grip, with practice.
Old 06-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I draw open handed then close my index finger around. My pinky reaches out and rests on my stabilizer. It works and is comfortable for me.
Old 06-09-2006, 10:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

Neither, gripping the bow is unnatural, forcing your hand open is unnatural. When you let your hand loose on the bow, the pressure of the bow will naturally curl your fingers slightly, let your hand limp...I recommend a bow sling...don't grab it after the shot either, let the bow move naturally.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Be consistant with whatever you do. But I would not recommend closing completly around the grip. Simply because of torqueing reasons.

Quick Reply: Poll: Grip Open Hand or Closed Hand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.