Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Right hand or Left Hand? Starting out question >

Right hand or Left Hand? Starting out question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Right hand or Left Hand? Starting out question

Old 01-19-2005, 10:23 AM

Default Right hand or Left Hand? Starting out question

I came across this site because I am in the market for a
compound bow for target shooting. I am new to the hobby and have a
question. I know my draw length and all, but the question I have is "What
determines a left hand from a right hand bow?" I am right handed, but my
left eye is dominant. Since my left eye is dominant, do I choose a left
handed bow?

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Old 01-19-2005, 10:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Right hand or Left Hand? Starting out question

The main concern here is which way do you feel most comfortable .Go with which feel's right . If your left eye is Dominant and you can shoot the bow with no problem's and feel comfortable,then go that way .

nubo
Old 01-19-2005, 10:59 AM

You will definitely get a mixed response on this one. Personally, since you are just starting out I'd recommend you go with your dominant eye. I shot right-handed for a while even though I'm left-eye dominant. I didn't really improve much until I switched to a lefty bow - much better now.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I would say that if you know that you are left eye dominant then if it isn't real uncomfortable I would start off left handed right off the bat. But if you are to uncomfortable shooting this way by all means shoot right handed. My brother is right handed and left eye dominant and is a tremdous shot.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:27 AM
Super Moderator

If you are just starting out, then I'd definitely recommend going with a left handed bow.
I think you'll be better off in the long run.

I shoot left handed because I'm left eye dominate. I started shooting left handed from the start so it never felt ackward. Now, if I try to shoot a right handed bow, that feels really, really weird.
Old 01-19-2005, 11:36 AM

I'm left eye dom, and shoot right hand no problem. However, I agree with the others if you are just starting out, I would go lefty.
Old 01-19-2005, 02:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

well eveyone already pretty much answered this one lol. I shoot with my right hand and right eyed.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:03 AM

I have a diffrent take on this. I am left eye dominant and shoot right handed and over the years I have trained myself to shoot with both eye open which IMO is a huge advantage if you shoot with a peep sight.

If you are right handed and just getting into the sport you will find a better selection of bows in right hand models,new or used if you choose. It's unfortunate but that's been my experience.

I wouldn't let eye dominancy decided what you should buy. Shoot both left and right, find what feels the most comfortable and go with it. That's how you'll find what is best for you.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:00 AM

kind like everyone has said in the other replys, which are you most comfortable with? which is more natural? my left eye is doma=inate, but i mainly shoot a bow right handed, but i also shoot a gun left handed. i picked up a left handed bow a while back and decided to test it out ,, i can shoot almost as good left handed ,as i do right handed, but right handed is more natural, which is something you want while hunting, seeing that you are already under the pressureof makeing a good shoot. i would pretty much think the same thing with comp shooting. just my 2 cents thrown in.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:52 PM
Typical Buck

Shoot left handed! If your just starting out you will have no problems adjusting to shoot left handed. By brother switched to lefty after shooting for years right handed. It took him only three weeks to get back to the same scores that he was shooting right handed! Shortly after he passed way beyond what he shot right handed.