Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
All Around Hand Gun >

All Around Hand Gun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

All Around Hand Gun

Old 12-22-2002, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: All Around Hand Gun

"As far as home defense goes, basically we're talking about killing people, who does this for a living....military and police, no military faction has issued a revolver for duty since the late 70's." Wrong again. The USAF used revolvers up until the early 90's and the USMC guards at the Korean embassy had revolvers on their hips in 95.

Yes, I have seen the tests on Glock, but I still wouldn't trust one and I am in the business of "killing people" as you put it.

If you think that any 38 Special has more recoil than a 45 ACP then you must not shoot either one that much. The 45 has more felt recoil than most 357 Mags excluding the snub nosed light-weights. Thus my qualifying statement of "medium to heavy" such as the Ruger GP100. Revolvers tend to be heavier than pistols and the grip design lessens felt recoil.

Edited by - frizzellr on 12/22/2002 12:55:53
Old 12-22-2002, 06:42 PM
Typical Buck

..Mine is a 357 mag,model 19 Smith&Wesson,target sights
and hammer,and trigger,6 inch barrel mint cond,i love
it.......

..JESUS IS COMING BACK BE READY...
Old 12-22-2002, 09:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Some of you might think I'm crazy, but I use a Browning buckmark .22lr. I haven't had to use it on a person but it penetrates through 9" of wet phone book. Almost no kick and extremely rapid shots. Very cheap to shoot and great on small game. I know that it doesn't have the "knock down" power of the .357, but I figure at ten feet it will do the job just fine.
Old 12-22-2002, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

357 Mag. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2002, 06:35 AM

This fellow wants an all purpuse handgun not only home protection. IMHO the best home defense is a short barreled shotgun point and shoot problem solved.
Old 12-24-2002, 09:18 AM

"Ok, I'll be the first to admitt that pistols can jam while DA revolvers can't, but I never plan on mine jamming, and don't worry about it, because it doesn't happen."

If you don't plan on it, it will happen. It shouldn't be something you worry about but definately something you shouldn't rule out. if you don't plan for it it will catch you off guard at the worst moment. When I was in the Army we trained for just such a problem for hours at a time until we could do it under any concievable condition without thinking about it or breaking stride. Even now I still train for it. Even expensive guns can jam. My Kimber is not a cheap gun and has jammed on rare occassion. With proper training it is not a problem. "The only surprises are the ones you fail to train for".

"As far as home defense goes, basically we're talking about killing people, who does this for a living....military and police, no military faction has issued a revolver for duty since the late 70's."

The SEALs still use GP100s in .357mag. I very seriously doubt that anybody is going to doubt or question their lethality.

"Who cares about cycle rate....well, when I wake up at 4am and there's someone in my house, even in my room, I don't want to have to worry about what if I miss, I want to put as much lead in them as possible."

Most people are going to miss anyway because they are very disoriented when they wake up. This is even worse when they are startled awake as they would be in an intrusion senario. Even trained and combat experienced soldiers can forget about things like "switching off the safety" when startled awake in a combat situation. I have seen it happen. Only your first 3 or 4 shots are going to count anyway. After that you both will (hopefully) be moving for cover. Like Frizz said, if you need more than 6 shots you are in a war and need an airstrike. No intruder is going to hang around and shoot it out with you. A good 6 shot revolver with 1 reload is more firepower than anyone will need for personal defense.

Even though I love my Kimber I will have to go with the .357 here. As soon as I can afford it I will be purchasing a .357 revolver for personal defense at home and for carry.

Gscuttles, to answer your question, find a good revolver in .357 and you can rest assured that you will be adequately armed for your stated purpose.

Old 12-24-2002, 02:00 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-09-2003, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gscuttles, you didn't say big game (deer and bigger) and I believe the recommendation for a .357 is a good one.....I bought a Ruger wheel gun in .32 H&R mag.....and I love it. I handload for it and that helps.
Old 01-10-2003, 01:32 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

my 2 cents. First. I no longer carry a gun for work. But when I did it was a 9mm. for several years I carried my personal Sig. Then a department Glock. I liked both. I still carry the Sig. It performs wonderfully. As a test I once went 3 months without cleaning it and fired literally thousands of rounds thru it. somewhere around 3-5000 rounds, it jammed. there was enough crud in there to plant corn. just 6 months ago, I bought a box of ammo that stovepiped every other shot. I ran several other boxes thru it and no problems at all. The Autoloader has it's place (in my concealed carry holster). But if I wanted to hunt, I would go with a 4 or 5 inch barrelled .357 . IF you don't think it has enough knock down power to take a deer within 40 yards, then I have to say that you don't know what you are talking about. I used to put speer gold dot rounds in my wifes Smith and I think that if she ever had to hit someone with it, it would have ended the discussion. Everyone has an opinion. That's mine.
Old 01-19-2003, 05:47 PM

In my opinion the key to your problem lies in the sentence where you stated that you weren't real familiar with hndguns. first you should find a pistol that has the fewest working parts, minimal maintinance and the ballistic ability for the tasks you ask it to perform. I personnally like my s&w model 686 stainless 357. it fires when i want it to and it hits what i point it at. home protection is a most admirable trait, who doesn't want their family and themselves to be safe, but to go out and buy a gun just ins't the answer. i agree with just about everything the other people wrote, ( minus anything made by glock lol) but there is more to home protection, with a handgun. go take a class, learn about the gun, and how to handle it affectively, and how to retain it in the event of a hand to hand situation. after that maybe you can make a decision as to what gun you want for protection and which one of those choices ( that a professional may give )would work for your hunting pleasure! make sure it fits right, it's comfortable, and remember practice breeds perfection! god bless america!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: All Around Hand Gun

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.