Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Slug Guns!

Old 12-20-2002, 12:32 PM

Default Slug Guns!

Question to any slug gun shooters out there as far as accuracy goes whats your opinions on the Mossberg® 695 Bolt Action and the H & R Ultra Slug Hunter Deluxe. Which is a better gun! I know a lot of people with these guns but each one is biased to theirs! has anyone used both of these or heard anything about them?

PS- Should i just wait till i get my Encore 209x50 and buy the 12 gauge rifle barrel?
Old 12-22-2002, 11:35 AM

Default RE: Slug Guns!

*BUMP*
Old 12-22-2002, 08:32 PM

my brother has the mossberg and i have the h&r and they shoot great(mine alittle better) but since we got our 209x50's we dont use our slug guns anymore.we like the challenge of ONE shot,theyre more accurate .5@100yds. and you get more distance. shot a 3 pt. @ 209yds w/mine this year.hope this helps
PETE

GUN CONTROL IS HITTING WHAT YOU AIM AT!!
Old 12-23-2002, 08:34 AM

thanx non-typical i read about your deer in another forum somewhere, pretty impressive sometime youll have to tell the story. how much powder where you using? How high were you aiming from "0"? Where was your zero sightin at?

- "When you've lost the 'Buck Fever' its time to move on to another sport!"
Old 12-27-2002, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have no experience with the Mossberg but I can tell you that my Ultra Slug gun shoots very impressively. It seems to like the lightfields 1 oz sabots best. On a good day one inch groups at 100 yards are common. I did get a two inch group out of the 1 oz. Remington copper sabots but didn't shoot enough of them to get a good handle on consistency.

Of course the bull barrel makes the gun hefty so one wouldn't want to carry it all day, but for blind hunting it is great. If your a rifle shooter and used to a light trigger there will be a learning curve for shooting the gun.

For the price and the accuracy this gun offers it is hard to beat depending on the type of hunting you would be using it for. Stand hunting where it is a "one and done deal" it will fit the bill nicely. If you are pushing, driving, or still hunting through the woods, I would say perhaps the Mossberg would serve you better.

Old 12-27-2002, 11:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Absolutely love my ultra slug hunter (12 gauge in the laminated camo finish with a 4X scope)! Plan on getting a 20 gauge for my son before next season. Shoots like a dream. Recoil is.....what's recoil? I shoot the Brenekke Rottweil Magnums, 2 3/4 & 3-inchers with EXCELLENT results! Love the fact that it's a one drill - one kill deal. I ain't missed one yet with it. The 835 is a nice one though for sure. Kinda weird feeling though, I don't care for the way they "feel". However thay shoot really accurately, too. Minus - more felt recoil. Minus - loud with that porting deal. Positive - a follow up shot is available, but not really all that fast.

For any possible second shot I MIGHT need with my Ultra, I have a slug holder from a 12 gauge flare gun held on mine with some industrial double sided sticky tape. The holder was originally for 3 rounds but I cut it for two.

Can't beat the price of the H & R!

If you shoot a deer with your last slug with the H & R and don't completely kill it, another advantage the H & R has over the Mossy is that you can beat a deer to death with the H & R! It's hefty hefty hefty!

NOW....."Go Get Ya One!"
Old 12-28-2002, 12:22 AM

I have a Savage bolt action slugger, with Lightfield sabots it is extremly accurate. I've taken deer in Iowa,Indiana,New york & ohio with it.
Old 12-28-2002, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

H&R UltraSlug is a really good shooter, and it doesn't beat you. THe 20 guage youth model is a great deer gun for anybody.