Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 best slug guns >

best slug guns

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

best slug guns

Old 07-20-2006, 08:48 PM

Default best slug guns

im looking to get a slug gun. unfortunately, i dont got millions of $ to spend on it ( who does these days?). wut is the best ( most accurate, relable, ect.) pump slug gun for the cheapest price?
thanks

hacim
Old 07-20-2006, 08:56 PM
bigcountry

Default RE: best slug guns

For the money, you can't beat a HR heavy barrel slug or a 870pump with cantilever barrel. I used one for years. Now I shoot a browning gold but still have the 870 and use it on occasion. The semi takes an incredible amount of perceived recoil out.

Old 07-20-2006, 09:06 PM

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

For the money, you can't beat a HR heavy barrel slug or a 870pump with cantilever barrel. I used one for years. Now I shoot a browning gold but still have the 870 and use it on occasion. The semi takes an incredible amount of perceived recoil out.
as much as i would like a semi for slugs, they are illegal for deer here
Old 07-20-2006, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Savage 210 is just about one of the best slugson the market from a value perspective.

After reading pages of actuall reports from slug shooters I am confident in saying that it will accurately shoot a number of slugs that the H&R's have a difficult time with.

Yes, the H&R is a great buy if you are on really tight budget, but if you can afford to spend a few extra bucks the Savage is definetely worth the money.

Savage 210

Savage 210...100yds

Old 07-21-2006, 08:55 AM

I agree with JCC, for a dedicated slug gun you just can't beat the savage. I wish I would have gotten one, but didn't have the cash at the time. I have an H&R ultra and it's a nice rifle, a bit on the heavy side though. It really was not designed to shoot the newer slugs however. Some have good luck with light faster rounds, and some don't. However when you find something it likes they do shoot pretty well.

As far as a pump goes, if you want the versatility get a 870 or a mossy 500 with a Cantiliver barrel and put a decent low powered scope on it. They can be pretty accurate as well. If you want a bit more accuracy get the barrel pinned and have some trigger work done to it. However this will ruin the gun as far as versatility goes and being able to swap barrels for different kinds of hunting. You can get either gun in a combo model for under 400 bucks if you look around.

The key with these guns is finding the ammo it likes. Once you do that they shoot pretty good. It's the same with a centerfire rifle, but slug guns seem to be a bit more picky is all. The difference between ammo it likes and ammo it doesn't like can be pretty extreme, especially at 100 yards. Mine will shoot most anything well at 50 yards.

Paul
Old 07-21-2006, 11:01 AM

how much could i get just a slug barrel on a mossy 500, or an 870 for?i already have a benelli nova, so i dont really need versatility.
Old 07-21-2006, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

2 years ago I got a 870 synthetic stocked combo at Gander Mtn with a fully rifled cantelevered barrel with 2x-4x Bushnel Banner scope, and a 28" bird barrel for a bit over $500.

I was surprised how well it grouped the hot 2-3/4" ammo at 1900 fps. I'm very pleased with its performance, and it has that legendary Remington smoothness to the action. I have a Moss 500 too,but it's just not the same.

I do wish I would have waited and saved up for the semi auto. My shoulder just hates practice time, and trying to pump the action when you are shootingfrom a rest really sucks. On the good side, the pump is lighter and cheaper.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:50 PM

If you already have a shotgun for bird and small game I suggest getting a dedicated slug gun for deer hunting. You can get deer only pumps from just about every maker. However in most cases they will just be a regular pump gun with a different barrel on them. Not a pinnned barrel with a better trigger. And for the money they would cost you could get a H&R Ultra with a really nice scope or the Savage.

As far as the barrels alone, they go for around $200 for either the mossy or the 870 if you are getting the barrel alone. I am pretty sure you can get a slug barrel for your gun you have now, I just don't think they are very cheap is all.

I do believe Ithaca makes a deer only pump gun, but I'm not sure to be honest and I couldn't tell you how good it is. You would have to do some research. I rarely see them in any shops I go to, I know that.

I did see a 870 laminated stock version with a deer barrel on it in a local shop. Looked pretty cool actually. However remington doesn't list it on their website. I am sure it is just a regular 870 with some fancy wood though.

Paul
Old 07-21-2006, 01:09 PM

I did some research, and it seems Ithaca is not in buisiness any more. They did make a Deerslayer model made especially for slug shooting though. The deer slayer II and III have screwed in barrels and drilled and tapped recievers for optics. Also with a 1 and 28 inch twist rate for the barrel.

If you could find one of these it would fit your bill nicely I am sure. The down side is they are heavy, just as heavy as the H&R ultra, around 11 or 12 lbs! And they are expensive. From what I read the suggested retail price was close to a grand. I would think you get a tar hunt for that. You could get a couple H&R ultras with really nice scopes for that. Or a savage 210 with really great optics.

Browning also makes the BPS in a slug gun only set up wiht a cantilever barrel with a 1 and 28 inch twist. Nice guns, I have held one, but never shot one.

Paul
Old 07-21-2006, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr
I did some research, and it seems Ithaca is not in buisiness any more.
Paul
Paul....whatch U been smokin Mon..?...

We have been talking about the new Ithaca products on the other "slug" site for over a month now...

http://www.ithacagunsusa.com/

Quick Reply: best slug guns

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.