Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Slug Guns

Old 12-27-2003, 08:53 AM
Spike

Default Slug Guns

I am looking to buy a slug gun for deer hunting in Pa. Can anybody give some insight on this. I'm looking for a 12ga. Comments on different manufactures with likes and dislikes is really needed. Do people use scopes on these? Best or favorite ammo. This is some thing new to me and i would like to start getting into this.
Tim
Old 12-27-2003, 12:39 PM

Default RE: Slug Guns

As for wich brand to buy thats a matter of opinion. hold many different brands and barrel types. As for using slug guns in PA if your hunting the big woods where shots are rare over 50 yrds then go for it. I've killed several deer and one bear with my slug gun and never had any of them run more than 10 yards. As for a scope yes good Idea hoever very low power or no power at all. Also want to look at rifled barrels. The only con is the kick. however I never felt it when shooting at a deer only on the range. Any way you slice it for close shooting you can't beat slug guns.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Slug Guns

WELL I HUNT IN NEW JERSEY SHOTGUN/MUZZLELOADER ONLY STATE. I HAVE A FEW SLUG GUNS, MOST WITH A RIFLED/CANTILEVER BARRELS. WHAT TYPE OF ACTION DO YOU WANT? WILL IT BE PUMP, SEMI-AUTO, SINGLE SHOT? WHAT PRICE RANGE ARE YOU LOOKING TO SPEND? I LOVE MY PUMPS, BUT I REALLY LOVE MY SEMI-AUTO REMINGTON 11-87. FOR AMMO, WHAT WORKS FOR ME MAY NOT WORK FOR YOU EVEN IF YOU HAVE THE SAME SHOTGUN, SO YOU NEED TO FIRE DIFFERENT BRANDS, BUT WHAT I FIND THAT WORKS GREAT FOR ME AND MY FRIENDS ARE THE LIGHTFIELD SLUGS, TOOK A FEW DEER AND A BEAR THIS YEAR WITH THEM. MOSSBERG'S MODEL 500 WITH RIFLED/CANTILEVER BARREL IS A GREAT BUY, FOR SCOPES GET YOURSELF A QUALITY BRAND, I HAVE A FEW BUSHNELL TROPHYS ON MY PUMPS, BUT MY REMINGTON SEMI-AUTO HAS A LEUPOLD. GOOD LUCK