Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 at work today in walmart i saw a fella with a glock on his hip >

at work today in walmart i saw a fella with a glock on his hip

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

at work today in walmart i saw a fella with a glock on his hip

Old 03-14-2007, 06:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: at work today in walmart i saw a fella with a glock on his hip

I myself don't open carry because it just sends a bad message
And what bad message would that be? That you are a law abiding citizen that is exercizing your right to carry a firearm that is guaranteed to you by the constitution of the united States of America? Or that maybe you prefer to protect yourself rather than waiting on the police for ten minutes to arrive when your life is in danger?

I too like the element of surprise of CC but I really don't understand why carrying a firearm sends a bad message.

Why are gunowners so afrade of the general publicwhen it comes to our firearms?

well then, excuse my slang in a casual question on an informal forum.
Ask Jim Zumbo about "casual slang".Gunowners don't need that kind of casual slang coming from other gunownersjust like black people don't needother black people callingeach otherthe "N" word. It doesn't help at all.

i've already been pulled over at a road block and had my vehicle searched for over an hour with dogs and by them digging through EVERYTHING and received some pretty intense questioning followed by blatant accusations......
You know that you are 100% within your rights to tell them that they can not search your vehicle. Provided you didn't actually give them any reason to suspect you of anything.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:16 AM

God bless the land of the free where a man can carry a pistol and not instantly be a criminal. SomedayI hope Canada can say the same. If i were legaly entitled by by government to carry a handgunI would, every person with a clean background should be encouraged to carry a hangun. An armed society is a polite society.
Old 03-14-2007, 11:20 AM

Ok used to have a very good open carry law. That went away when concealed carry became law. You can still open carry in a vehicle.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:43 PM

If you guys want to know what the laws are in your state check out www.packing.org. Here in PA it is perfectly legal to open carry and I don't see anything wrong with it. I got my concealed carry permit a few weeks ago and it was super easy. No, I don't need it but it's my legal right to have it. A lot of guys make fun of people who carry guns calling them Rambo types or paranoid, but how many stories have you seen on the news about some psycho shooting up a mall or a Walmart? It may never happen to you, but what if it does? It's not paranoia it's just being prepared.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

So here is a question for the group. I got this from the packing.org website.

Open carry of handguns is legal except in certain areas (see restrictions), and in your vehicle. However, open carry is not common, and most likely you will be hassled (try carrying openly in Detroit). Also, as soon as you get to your car you have to meet the other requirements (unloaded, etc.). You can only transport your handgun under certain conditions. It is a real hassle to carry openly in Michigan.
Places off-limits to open carry. MCL 750.234d(1): (a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution. (b) A church or other house of religious worship. (c) A court. (d) A theatre. (e) A sports arena. (f) A day care center. (g) A hospital. (h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
No license is needed to carry a pistol as long as it is exposed. However, should a person cover the pistol during inclement weather with a jacket or coat or get into a vehicle, the pistol would be concealed, and the carrier would place himself in jeopardy unless he possessed a concealed pistol license. Per Attorney General's opinion #3158, a holster, in plain view, is not considered concealed.

So if you can open carry but you can't in a vehicle how do you get in your vehicle? Can you draw your weapon from the holster and unload it?

Or

Can you open carry and then while in your car use the powers of your CCW because it is now concealed?

Thanks

Tom
Old 03-14-2007, 01:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

Why are gunowners so afrade of the general publicwhen it comes to our firearms?
Because the general public is ignorant, and they vote!!!
Old 03-14-2007, 01:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

So here is a question for the group. I got this from the packing.org website.

Open carry of handguns is legal except in certain areas (see restrictions), and in your vehicle. However, open carry is not common, and most likely you will be hassled (try carrying openly in Detroit). Also, as soon as you get to your car you have to meet the other requirements (unloaded, etc.). You can only transport your handgun under certain conditions. It is a real hassle to carry openly in Michigan.
Places off-limits to open carry. MCL 750.234d(1): (a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution. (b) A church or other house of religious worship. (c) A court. (d) A theatre. (e) A sports arena. (f) A day care center. (g) A hospital. (h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
No license is needed to carry a pistol as long as it is exposed. However, should a person cover the pistol during inclement weather with a jacket or coat or get into a vehicle, the pistol would be concealed, and the carrier would place himself in jeopardy unless he possessed a concealed pistol license. Per Attorney General's opinion #3158, a holster, in plain view, is not considered concealed.

So if you can open carry but you can't in a vehicle how do you get in your vehicle? Can you draw your weapon from the holster and unload it?

Or

Can you open carry and then while in your car use the powers of your CCW because it is now concealed?

Thanks

Tom
Sounds like you're basically screwed unless you hold a permit. Or you never drive anywhere.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Because the general public is ignorant, and they vote!!!
Maybe it just isn't commonplace for them to see someone carrying a firearm. I mean, consider the opening post in this thread. Perhaps if it wasn't so uncommon it wouldn't be such a big deal. If non gun owners saw more people carrying firearms and NOT SHOOTING PEOPLE WITH THEM, contrary to what the media tells them, they wouldn't be so freaked out by it.

Unload it when you get into your car.

Florida law considers your car an extension of you home and your are legal to carry concealed in your car with out a licenseso long as it is enclosed in some sort of case. This "case" can be your center console, glove box, etc...

Does Michigan allow you to carry concealed in your car with out a license?
Old 03-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Open carry is legal in Wisconsin. Unfortunately you would only be carryingfor abot 15 seconds before some blissninny douchebag calls the local law enforcement.
Every other form of carrying and transporting a firearm is heavily regulated in my state, you could carry openly legally, but if you get into your car, into a boat, onto a snowmobile or ATVbefore unloading and completely encasing the firearm, you are in violation of the law. The open carry law was unfortunately put in place for hunting only. The flip side to it is if you have your hunting revolver on a shoulder rig and you put your heavy winter coat over it for the walk to the deer stand, you are are considered to be carrying a concealed weapon which is also a major misdemeanor for the first offense and a felony for lter offenses in my state.

Old 03-14-2007, 11:50 PM

It all depends on what state you live in and what the laws are in that state.

God bless the NRA

Quick Reply: at work today in walmart i saw a fella with a glock on his hip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.