HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - at work today in walmart i saw a fella with a glock on his hip
Old 03-14-2007, 01:07 PM
statjunk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: at work today in walmart i saw a fella with a glock on his hip

So here is a question for the group. I got this from the packing.org website.

Open carry of handguns is legal except in certain areas (see restrictions), and in your vehicle. However, open carry is not common, and most likely you will be hassled (try carrying openly in Detroit). Also, as soon as you get to your car you have to meet the other requirements (unloaded, etc.). You can only transport your handgun under certain conditions. It is a real hassle to carry openly in Michigan.
Places off-limits to open carry. MCL 750.234d(1): (a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution. (b) A church or other house of religious worship. (c) A court. (d) A theatre. (e) A sports arena. (f) A day care center. (g) A hospital. (h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of 1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
No license is needed to carry a pistol as long as it is exposed. However, should a person cover the pistol during inclement weather with a jacket or coat or get into a vehicle, the pistol would be concealed, and the carrier would place himself in jeopardy unless he possessed a concealed pistol license. Per Attorney General's opinion #3158, a holster, in plain view, is not considered concealed.

So if you can open carry but you can't in a vehicle how do you get in your vehicle? Can you draw your weapon from the holster and unload it?

Or

Can you open carry and then while in your car use the powers of your CCW because it is now concealed?

Thanks

Tom