Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Trap Shooting >

Trap Shooting

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Trap Shooting

Old 02-20-2007, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Trap Shooting

i use to shoot trap with a browning BPS pump gun in 12ga but on sunday i went out and bought a browning cynergy 12ga. i shoot anything thats on sale from challenger's remington and federal. all in #8 shot with a full choke.
Old 02-20-2007, 02:12 PM
Spike

I think Amateurhunter is refering to shooting clays from a manual puller, not actual Trap Shooting.

I'm pretty amazed to find 2 others on this board that have a Citori Lightning Sporting Clays. I have one that I shoot for Trap & Sporting Clays with 28" barrels and hi-post rib. Very nice gun.

Sporting Clays is a great shotgun sport. You can shoot 50 or 100 at the 3 or 4 courses I frequent. There are any number of combinations at each station. We have singles, true pairs (2 at a time), report pairs (second is thrown after first shot) and following pairs. (The trapper throws the second at will) One course also has timed pairs, which are "driven pheasants" that come high over your head towards you. The trapper throws 3 true pairs, but you only call pull once. It's a neat stand.

As far as shells go, make sure your looking at the single boxes also. I've found that the "promo" boxes of 100 are pretty dirty and inconsistent. For economy shells, I've been using Remington Game Loads. They go on sale for less than $3/box early in the hunting season, and then creep their way up to $4/box towards the end. They are far from a premium shell, but I like them better than the promos. I lucked out and found the area wholesaler, and can get Rio's for under $4/box by the case.
Old 02-20-2007, 04:37 PM

i use a mossberg 500 12 gauge w/ full choke 30in. barrel and i rock the field and almost always tie for first i usually get around 23-25/25. and the clays are about 20 yards out when i shoot htem. i use remington 8s game loads and winchester 100 value packs or w/e for $15
Old 02-20-2007, 04:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: ipscshooter

Nothing at all wrong with a pump action for trap. It is, after all, a single shot sport, so quick follow-up shots aren't necessary.

I use a 12 gauge Browning Citori Special Sporting Clays Edition for Trap, Skeet and Sporting Clays. I reload 18.5 grains of 700-X, with 1 1/8 ounces of 7 1/2 in Winchester AA Hulls, or 1 1/8 ounces of 8 shot in Remington Premier Hulls. For sporting clays, I'll use the red AA's for longer shots, and the green Premiers for shorter shots.

Also, Jeepkid, sporting clays ranges are different everywhere, and you don't get doubles every time. Sometimes you get singles, sometimes you get "following pairs" where the second bird is thrown at the sound of the shot on the first bird, and sometimes you get "true pairs" where both birds are thrown simultaneously. Every trap range in the entire country is the same. Every skeet range in the entire country is the same. Every sporting clays range in the country is different, and that adds to the challenge.
Yeah I know, Ijust wanted to do a simple explanation for him. I shot one station that would throw two birds every 7 seconds no matter what. It is a blast reloading and then shooting real fast like that.