Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Gun Shows SUCK!!!!! >

Gun Shows SUCK!!!!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun Shows SUCK!!!!!

Old 01-31-2007, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Gun Shows SUCK!!!!!

I don't know about the guns show in other parts of the country, but around here inIdaho they realy suck and have done so in the past 5 years. The dealers at the show either have new guns that they think are worth their weight in gold, or they have old used junk that they think is rare and again its suppose to be worth its weight in gold. We had a gun show this past weekend here in Idaho falls,I stopped going to them a few year back soI thought I would pop in and check it out to see if they have gotten any better. Nope sure not, in fact I'd say it was the worse one I have been to yet.I didn't see any guns that were a deal of anykind, instead I would say it wasthe other wayaround. Meaning the prices were 1/4 again or sohigher for most things including a lot of the guns.Iknow I could have gone into one of our three local gunstores including high priced Sportsmans Warehouse and I could have got a better dealon a brand new gun in the same make and modelover any gun new or used at the gunshow. Yes it was that bad, it made me feel like the dealers were crooks/loansharks, just waiting to take someone for a ride and screw them over.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gun Shows SUCK!!!!!

I have gone to exactly one gun show, and had the same sentiment. No more for me.

Later,

Marcial
Old 01-31-2007, 02:34 PM
Fork Horn

Same thing in NY.Tables full of junk and outrageous prices.What gets me is if you want to trade a gun they basically want to give it to them.
Old 01-31-2007, 02:40 PM
bigcountry

I have to agree. You pay this rediculus fee to get in, and to find the same crap you can find by driving to the local stores.You try to bring in a nice colt 45 or browning gold to do some trading, and they look at you with a serious look and tell ya they will give ya 300 for both.

I wont' go anymore. Unless its a show with only used guns.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

bigcountry,that's happend to me in the past as well. I have learned with gun shows that if you own it then its not worth much no matter what it is. Hell it could be a very nice double Holland and Holland shotgun or rifle, it could be new or in like new condition and it still wouldn't be worth much. But on the other hand if it was on the dealers table, thenthe price would bedouble the actual ammount its worth simplybecasue they own it.I also find it funny that most of these dealers arewhat I call want to be's. They want to be gunexperts and they want to own theirown store but in realitythat don't or can't afford to own a real gun store. So they go to the gun shows instead.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:13 PM

Ahhh, the good old days of gunshows are over. Today's gunshows are filled with fake samurai swords, throwing stars, blowguns, Dragon mirrors, and some idiot dressed in WWII surplus battle fatigues. They are by and large a joke.

There aren't many deals to be found anymore, but you can occassionally find a poor kindred soul walking the ailes with just what you've been looking for hanging from his shoulder. Then and only then does the glory days shine.

Thus begins the ole song and dance of acting intereted but not "too interested". Asking: "how much" followed by: "oh goodness thats more than I'm willing to go" then the inevitable followup: "whats your bottom dollar?" Oh, but don't think that its over, oh no we have only just begun this dance.

Its an art form really. You can't pick it up on your own either. No this art requires an apprenticeship. Whoa is be the soul that tries to fake this dance. One wrong step and you may go home with an empty wallet and a Ithaca Side by side that only one hammer works "sometimes". Not that I would know or anything.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

They aren't much to brag about in this area either. As an example, I brought in, to sell, a very nice Ruger M77 (older tang safety) .243 with a like new Leupold VXII 4-12 scope. It's in great shape and is a real shooter. The best anyone would offer was $350. The scope alone is worth that. Needless to say, it's still in the safe.
Old 01-31-2007, 03:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thus begins the ole song and dance of acting intereted but not "too interested". Asking: "how much" followed by: "oh goodness thats more than I'm willing to go" then the inevitable followup: "whats your bottom dollar?" Oh, but don't think that its over, oh no we have only just begun this dance.

Its an art form really. You can't pick it up on your own either. No this art requires an apprenticeship. Whoa is be the soul that tries to fake this dance. One wrong step and you may go home with an empty wallet and a Ithaca Side by side that only one hammer works "sometimes". Not that I would know or anything.
Thats the start of the downfalland is totaly dishonestIMO. If I sell a gun I am selling much more than just a gun I am selling my reputation too. By darn if I had a Ithaca Side by side that only one hammer works, then guess what I would let it be known that only one hammer works. To do anything else makes me a crook in my book and that simply will not happen. The good ole days might be over and at age 32 I might have missed the peak of it, but if that was what it was like, then I say good riddence, and I am thankful its over. Now we live in a day and agewithtechnowledge of ebay, gunbroker and other web sites with free classifieds. When selling on these ifa sellertries to pull a fast one over the eyes of some victom then his reputation is forever tarnished andhe becomes wellknown to many buyers as a crook and a theif. On the other hand the guys who are honest and upfront, well they will continue to do bussiness and there reputation will only inprove with every honest sell they make. Not a bad system if you ask me.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

When selling on these ifa sellertries to pull a fast one over the eyes of some victom then his reputation is forever tarnished andhe becomes wellknown to many buyers as a crook and a theif. On the other hand the guys who are honest and upfront, well they will continue to do bussiness and there reputation will only inprove with every honest sell they make. Not a bad system if you ask me.
I agree. I bought some lead shot off Ebay and it was supposed to betwo 25 lb bags unopened. When I got it there was maybe 15 lbs total between the two bags. When I complained to the guy he said well you never asked how much it weighed and I never weighed it. I told him that his description said UNOPENED and he didn't want to return the money. Though when I filed a complaint he agreed to refund the money right away. There is no way you can mistake 15 pounds for 50 lbs.
Old 01-31-2007, 04:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

i used to goto shows frequently..they used to be good like you said. alot of good deals...good people etc. alot of it was private guys and people looking to buy, sale and trade at good prices. then more and more gunshops started going..the table fees are pretty high so the average person cant put a couple guns down and make money unless hes charging rediculous amounts. then when goto gunshows when its mostly gunshops..with the same stickers on the guns that they wear in the shops and not willing to budge?? still might get lucky here and there but not like it used to be.

Quick Reply: Gun Shows SUCK!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.