Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Gun Shows SUCK!!!!! >

Gun Shows SUCK!!!!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun Shows SUCK!!!!!

Old 01-31-2007, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gun Shows SUCK!!!!!

I still go to gun shows. In fact, there is one this weekend in my hometown. You all are right about the prices of the firearms in general being too high. I basically have quit trying to buy at these things for guns. Their stuff is gold. I won't even take any trading material there. My stuff is garbage. I bought a 700 243 w/3x9 Leupold for my wife about 5 yrs. ago for a decent price, but since then, it has gotten rediculous. I mainly shop now for odds and ends in the reloading stuff, but you better have your good glasses on.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:07 PM

I used to work security at one in Dayton Ohio. What really sucks is being the security and the only one without a gun.

Now that's true. It doesn't make any sense.

I've also seen people selling illegal products at those things, such as silencers for pistols, and they get away with it. At our shows they have cops that come in to guard. I think they have guns.
Old 01-31-2007, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've also seen people selling illegal products at those things, such as silencers for pistols, and they get away with it.
Nothing illegal about selling silencers, so long as an exchange isn't made before the buyer is approved by the BATF and has paid for their tax stamp. I often times see class 3 guns for sale at gunshows- you won't be able to take it home, but you can start the paperwork or show interest and follow upwith the seller and BATF afterward to make sure all of the proper forms are filled and the proper approvals are received before the gun changes hands.

One nice thing about gun shows is that if you ever get the urge to refinish your old hunting rifle with tru-oil, all you have to do is go to gunshow to see a few dozen other gun abortions performed with tru-oil to cure you of the urge.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

The last gun show I went to was in 86,free parking and 3 bucks to get in.the coffee was ok,saw afew guys I hadnt seen for awhile,prices on the guns and stuff was ok(I was poor).
Ive found that if you keep up on the pawnshops you can run into some real finds, way better then a gun show...
Old 02-01-2007, 03:49 AM
Fork Horn

Am I the only one that loves going to these shows????? I love it. I joined Washington Arms collectors and go to the show at the fairgrounds every month. I get there early on Saturday and try to find the deals. They are there, you just have to look. By Sunday the deals are long gone and all that is left is junk. Similar to what you all have explained.I got took on one buy there but only lost 9 dollars after reselling it a month later. I go with a buddy and so far we have found some deals
4 boxes 200 gr TSX.....$20 each saved $12 plus tax
Weatherby 30-378 ....$1100 new is $1450
Leica 1200 RF like new......$450 new is $700
Brand New Army Cot...like new $30....new is $80
Glock 19-9......older one....$360....
Glock 23-40...new model with night sights and 4 clips...$450

Prolly some more odds and ends. You definately have to know what stuff is worth otherwise you will get taken. You have to find the guy that wants to make a fast nickel rather than a slow dime. And thats my two cents.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

My experience is the same. Not worth the entrance price.

Tom
Old 02-01-2007, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I used to go to every gun show I could get to, but just like you, that's a thing of the past! It seems every person who has a display table at a gun show these days has to double their appraisal of every hunk of iron or other junk they saw fit to drag to the place. One MIGHT get a deal by trading, if you have something one of the dealers really wants. But you will never find a good deal anymore if you're purchasing.

Another gripe-there's nothing worse than a "gun show" that is a flea market instead!

Now, it would be a real shame as far as our rights are concerned if gun shows were to be prohibited, but would it be a real loss to the firearms industry? I think NOT...........
Old 02-01-2007, 07:59 AM

I haven't been to one this year but I agree about the prices. The only reason I really go to one for is little stuff like cleaning jags, those boxes to put your rounds in, just junk in general. You have to be an educated consumer for everything now-a-days. I figure paying the entrance fee is like paying for shipping.

Two years ago I took a Marlin 695 slug gun to see what I could get for it and almost punched one of the vendors in the mouth for offering me $20. I got a piece of paper and wrote "For Sale" on it and sold it to a guy for $210 before I left the show.
Old 02-01-2007, 08:02 AM

ORIGINAL: idahoelkinstructor

Thats the start of the downfalland is totaly dishonestIMO. If I sell a gun I am selling much more than just a gun I am selling my reputation too. By darn if I had a Ithaca Side by side that only one hammer works, then guess what I would let it be known that only one hammer works. To do anything else makes me a crook in my book and that simply will not happen. The good ole days might be over and at age 32 I might have missed the peak of it, but if that was what it was like, then I say good riddence, and I am thankful its over. Now we live in a day and agewithtechnowledge of ebay, gunbroker and other web sites with free classifieds. When selling on these ifa sellertries to pull a fast one over the eyes of some victom then his reputation is forever tarnished andhe becomes wellknown to many buyers as a crook and a theif.
(SIREN BLARRING) Watch out! The morality police is coming through! You totally rained on my attempt to wax philosophical. OBTW I was the one who took home the junk side by side. If you are in the habit of taking peoples word as gospel, then I can understand why you dislike gunshows so much. As my gramps used to say: "You got to be smarter than the other guy" or "If you look around and can't spot the sucker, guess what, ITS YOU!"

the guys who are honest and upfront, well they will continue to do bussiness and there reputation will only inprove with every honest sell they make. Not a bad system if you ask me.
It must be nice in your world. But, back here in reality its not quite so honest and rosey. You better be on your toes in the real world. JMHO. I wish your way would work but nice guys get the shaft everyday. I am in no way promoting dishonesty. Quite the opposite, but I also know the realities.

Peace
Old 02-01-2007, 08:16 AM
Typical Buck

Michigan gun shows are the same way. I go to one a year but, I don't think I will go anymore. A ruger ranch rifle on one end of the building is $450 and on the other end is $900 for the same gun.

Quick Reply: Gun Shows SUCK!!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.