Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Gun Shows SUCK!!!!! >

Gun Shows SUCK!!!!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun Shows SUCK!!!!!

Old 02-01-2007, 08:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Gun Shows SUCK!!!!!

ORIGINAL: Gundigest

Michigan gun shows are the same way. I go to one a year but, I don't think I will go anymore. A ruger ranch rifle on one end of the building is $450 and on the other end is $900 for the same gun.
Now that's funny! (Even at $450.00, it's way too much!)
Old 02-01-2007, 08:51 AM

ORIGINAL: Gundigest

Michigan gun shows are the same way. I go to one a year but, I don't think I will go anymore. A ruger ranch rifle on one end of the building is $450 and on the other end is $900 for the same gun.
I've seen that way too many times also. And when you ask the vendor selling it for $900 why, he just says to buy it from the other guy. I don't understand how it is profitable for them anymore.
Old 02-01-2007, 09:32 AM

The ones that i have been to here in OK in the past several years have been really pitiful. There is alwaysat least one Class 3 dealer with a huge inventory of new stuff that he can only sell to cops. Then there are the trinket and junk merchants.
Old 02-01-2007, 10:57 AM

I like to go and look for reloading component deals. Seems there's always somebody there peddling their stuff from a gun the no longer own, moving out of state, wife says they've got to reduce inventory, selling some stuff to pay for the next toy, getting out of reloading, selling for a friend, etc.

I go into a gun show KNOWING the guns are going to be overpriced, so I look for the little things.
Old 02-01-2007, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

[blockquote]quote:

ORIGINAL: idahoelkinstructor

Thats the start of the downfalland is totaly dishonestIMO. If I sell a gun I am selling much more than just a gun I am selling my reputation too. By darn if I had a Ithaca Side by side that only one hammer works, then guess what I would let it be known that only one hammer works. To do anything else makes me a crook in my book and that simply will not happen. The good ole days might be over and at age 32 I might have missed the peak of it, but if that was what it was like, then I say good riddence, and I am thankful its over. Now we live in a day and agewithtechnowledge of ebay, gunbroker and other web sites with free classifieds. When selling on these ifa sellertries to pull a fast one over the eyes of some victom then his reputation is forever tarnished andhe becomes wellknown to many buyers as a crook and a theif.
[/blockquote]

(SIREN BLARRING) Watch out! The morality police is coming through! You totally rained on my attempt to wax philosophical. OBTW I was the one who took home the junk side by side. If you are in the habit of taking peoples word as gospel, then I can understand why you dislike gunshows so much. As my gramps used to say: "You got to be smarter than the other guy" or "If you look around and can't spot the sucker, guess what, ITS YOU!"

[blockquote]quote:

the guys who are honest and upfront, well they will continue to do bussiness and there reputation will only inprove with every honest sell they make. Not a bad system if you ask me.
[/blockquote]

It must be nice in your world. But, back here in reality its not quite so honest and rosey. You better be on your toes in the real world. JMHO. I wish your way would work but nice guys get the shaft everyday. I am in no way promoting dishonesty. Quite the opposite, but I also know the realities.

Peace
Shado, I never thought you were the cheat, I knew you got taken with the side by side. Were you not just pissed? If that would of happened to me you can bet I would be going back to try to get my money. Nowwouldthe seller would be willing to give it back? Who knows? Most likelyI would not get my money back, but I would still try, and voice myopinion.At a gun show I know nothing could be done about it, and he would go one his way to scam someone else. Now ifthis happend over the net, then I would let everyone knowwith negitive feedback, and people would know to say away from that seller.Also if this was how a gun shop ran, you can bet it wouldn't take long for the word tospread and mostpeople would choose to do business elseware. I don't take others word for gospel, but I don't like being lied to either.I am not afraid to call a spade a spade and tell someone strait to there face they are lieing.I did so at this last gun show.A fellow was trying to sell a brand new in theboxwinchester M70 ClassicFeatherweightin 270 Winthat he wonfor grand prize at atire store giveaway last fall.This guywasn't a hunter andhad no knowledge of guns, other than what they told him about his gun when he picked it up just before christmas.I overheard a dealer tell him he would give him $200 at most because that is what he can buy them for at dealer price. The seller told him well they told me I was extra lucky to win this gun because winchester is no longer in business. The dealer replied, Well they are in fact still making them in limited producton. Upon hearing that I was pissedso I steped in and told the dealer he was not only full of **** but a lier as well. I told the guy the gun was worth, at least full retal price somewhere between $700-$800, and yes he was correct that Winchester is in fact out of business. Sure the dealer was mad, but I was even more so, and he didn't dare say anotherword, except to ask us toplease move on so other customers could see his guns. Your right about one thing this fellow who is a non hunter/shooter could have been the sucker. Thats true, but on the other hand what does that make the dealer? A wheeler and dealer or a theif and a crook? I guess that answer just depends upon who you ask? Just my 2 cents.
Old 02-01-2007, 12:23 PM

Most shows around here are a few dealers with new guns priced at suggested retail and a bunch of horsetraders with overpriced junk. The don't ever seem to sell much, but they do get to screw a few widows and clueless people out of what they carry in.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:48 PM

On the rare occasion i go to a gun show, I don't go to buy. I am basically paying the price of admission for the fun of spending a few hours walking around getting to hold stuff that I hope to one day be able to afford. When I can afford it, I won't be buying it at a gun show. I will go where i can get a deal.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:36 PM

Idahoelkinstructor,

I hear ya loud and clear. I think what you done was the right thing. A year ago my 14 yo was in the market for a prairie dog gun. We went to a gun show so he could look for a left handed 223 bolt gun. We found a booth that had a couple of savages on the rack. I let my son do the dealing while I looked at the rest of the guns on the counter. That particular dealer treated my son very fairly and even discounted the gun because it was the last day of the show, he hadn't sold much, and it was a lefty which is hard to move.My boy bought a savage 223 heavy barreled rifle with a 6-20 nikon scope for $450.So that dealer was a stand up guy. There are a few still around. So don't lose all hope.

OBTW You ever drop knifes? My grandpa was the best at it. He would carry a good case and purposely use it so the other dead peckers could see it. Then he'd put it back in his pocket, and later ask if anyone wanted to drop knifes. Only thin was, he had another old junker in his pocket that he would pull out to drop.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:59 PM

ORIGINAL: idahoelkinstructor
A fellow was trying to sell a brand new in the box winchester M70 Classic Featherweight in 270 Win that he won for grand prize at a tire store giveaway last fall. This guy wasn't a hunter and had no knowledge of guns, other than what they told him about his gun when he picked it up just before christmas. I overheard a dealer tell him he would give him $200 at most because that is what he can buy them for at dealer price.
I've witnessed other instances similar to this as well. I saw a dealer tell a guy his Model 870 Wingmaster wasn't worth more than $100 because it had a fixed choke on it. This gun was in PERFECT condition. It's sad to see the used car salesmans tactics & bullying at gun shows. It happens, though. Good for you for sticking up for the guy.