Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 5.56/223 for elk/moose(don't flame me yet!) >

5.56/223 for elk/moose(don't flame me yet!)

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

5.56/223 for elk/moose(don't flame me yet!)

Old 01-28-2007, 03:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 5.56/223 for elk/moose(don't flame me yet!)

Was it a matchbox car?[8D]
Old 01-28-2007, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

The .223 was developed to be an anti-tank round, don't argue with me about this. An elk or a Moose wouldn't be a good test for the .223's ability, I suggest a Cape Buffalo or Hippo.
Old 01-28-2007, 07:14 AM
Typical Buck

No doubt a full metal jacket in any round will out penetrate anything outthere. But it's not designed for tissue damage. It would be like telling a archery hunter to use a field tip to harvest big game. Animals survive bullet and arrow wounds. They will definetly survive the full metal jacket if it's not a vital hit. If I were ever crazy enough to use a full metal jacket on big game the shoulder would be the last place I'd shoot for. I'd go straight for the heart or head no other shot would be conceivable. Even a lung shot may end up with hours of tracking. Especially a tiny .223 bullet. Don't get me wrong hundreds of elk fall to these little varmit guns everyyear, but we call these guys poachers and they don't care if the animal runs off wounded. If people think a 270win is too small for elk who would even consider a .223. There's a reason that most elk states have the 6mm or larger rule. I don't think I need to explain that one.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Through an engine block? A .223? I'm not calling you a liar, but that's one of those things I'd have to see for myself. I was in the Marines for many years and the M16 was the main service rifle. That's a little bullet .
Just trying to figure it out.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

He's right guys. Our Sheriff's Dept. did the same tests here with the same results. Even the 9mm blew right thru the car, not engine but thru the car. They did the test to see if a car is a good thing to hide behind during a shoot out, lets just say, I would find something else to hide behind.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:46 AM

Kids, don't try this at home
Old 01-28-2007, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I learned, when stationed in Saudi Arabia of all places, that M16's were being used to poach elephants. Thus, I am quite confident that elk would ultimately succumb as well. Maybe after running a county or 2 away, short of a good CNS shot. At the same time, critters have a high density of water in them, and water slows down all bullets real fast. It is a different medium. Historically, some M16 bullets break around the cannelure and cause a larger wound channel with interior spalling from the fragments. That can add to the damage. I am personally biased against the 223 against 100 pound or bigger targets, but it is a rip snortin' pest cartrige.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am sure it could go through two doors or the rear fenders through the trunk, but through both front fenders, the inner firewalls and through an engine ? I doubt it. A bare engine block sitting on the ground ? probably, but it would have to be bare, because if it hit any internal engine parts I.E. rods, crank, camshaft etc. It would stop it. The engine block itself is cast ,it is pretty brittle, you can break an engine block with a hammer. The internals are much much stronger.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Our Sheriff's Dept. did the same tests here with the same results. Even the 9mm blew right thru the car, not engine but thru the car. They did the test to see if a car is a good thing to hide behind during a shoot out, lets just say, I would find something else to hide behind.
A car might have 1/16" of steel and another 1/2" of plastic and insulation to go through, I'd be suprised if a .223 or 9mm didn't go all the way through- it would be like shooting at a long row of beer cans. An engine block is a completely differetn story. As far as using a car for cover, I'd feel relatively safe with an engine block between me and a shooter, and almost as safe behind a wheel where you have a few inches of steel/aluminum from the brake drums/rotors + wheels.
Old 01-28-2007, 11:43 AM

*stopped reading posts about halfway down*

i don't think he ever claimed it went through the engine block...i was imagining doors when i read it.

moving on...

Quick Reply: 5.56/223 for elk/moose(don't flame me yet!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.