HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 5.56/223 for elk/moose(don't flame me yet!)
Old 01-28-2007, 07:14 AM
cherokee_outfitters
Typical Buck

Default RE: 5.56/223 for elk/moose(don't flame me yet!)

No doubt a full metal jacket in any round will out penetrate anything outthere. But it's not designed for tissue damage. It would be like telling a archery hunter to use a field tip to harvest big game. Animals survive bullet and arrow wounds. They will definetly survive the full metal jacket if it's not a vital hit. If I were ever crazy enough to use a full metal jacket on big game the shoulder would be the last place I'd shoot for. I'd go straight for the heart or head no other shot would be conceivable. Even a lung shot may end up with hours of tracking. Especially a tiny .223 bullet. Don't get me wrong hundreds of elk fall to these little varmit guns everyyear, but we call these guys poachers and they don't care if the animal runs off wounded. If people think a 270win is too small for elk who would even consider a .223. There's a reason that most elk states have the 6mm or larger rule. I don't think I need to explain that one.