Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Gun cleaning and storage >

Gun cleaning and storage

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gun cleaning and storage

Old 10-15-2006, 04:35 PM

Default Gun cleaning and storage

Still riding the learning curve on my firearms. Bought a hard travel case this summer and stored my guns in it. Opened it here this week and all looked well, except the barrels weresplotchy. Could rub the spots with my finger and they would basically disappear. Are these due to the foam in the case? If so, any permanant damage they can cause? How do I avoid them?

Now to cleaning. For the longer storage periods, what periodic maintainance should I be doing on my 2 shotguns and my glock?

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2006, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Gun cleaning and storage

Well as a general rule you should clean your guns once a year even if you aren't using them. Otherwise you should clean them every time you have them out. One thing that people don't remember is that once your bore is clean you need to run a patch with oil down it to keep your bore lubed and rust potential low.

For specifics follow the maintenance guide in your owners manual.

One easy way is to take your Glock to a certified service center and they will take care of it.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't like storing guns inside cases because these have the unfortunate tendancy to attract and trap condensation which can cause your guns to rust in the case so you could get a nasty suprise when you open up your case.

I would store them in a cool dry area out of direct sunlight like a closet or a safe. Just wipe them down lightly with oil and you won't have anything to worry about. Same thing goes with your bore as I said above.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:05 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-16-2006, 12:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Magnum_Man_300

Make sure when you clean to brush and clean the bore until it shines and there is no apparent grit, and then clean all exterior metal parts with a light coat of gun oil and then put them away in a safe place, if a case is all you have then so be it, and by the way some guys also like to put gun oil down their barrel to keep rust down, I have been cleaning guns for 30+ years and have found the gun oil in the barrel to be unneccesary, but the oil on the exterior parts is very neccesary, next periodic maintenance is not neccesary, that is another myth, as that light coat of oil will hold up and prevent rust for a long time, I have had guns go as long as 2 years on the original coat and havent had any problems. Finally if anyone that reads this thread has a serious problem with what I have posted then feel free to PM me and tell me what I'm doing wrong.
Plenty of people do things wrong, it doesn't matter how long you've been doing them if they are wrong.

Leaving residue of solvents or cleaning gels in your bore can never be a good thing, they can damage your bore. It's a fact that cleaning with a brush doesn't remove all copper (nor do you want it to) and any 5th grade science student knows that if copper is exposed to air it will oxidize (that green stuff),which if allowed to continue will pit your bore.Hence this is where the oil comes in. This prevents rust or other oxidizing processes from damaging your bore. It's never a bad idea even if you think it does nothing it still doesn't hurt and oxidizing or rust of any kind is your enemy. People tend to focus more on the exterior mainly because it gets wet and it's easy to visually see rust beginning. It's not always so apparent in your bore.

Follow what your owners manual says. If it says your gun need periodic maintenance then do it. It's the same as a car. You wouldn't go two years without washing your car. Your gun is a precision instrument that requires periodic maintenance to perform to it's fullest, regardless of whether you think so or not.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

here maybe this will help:

http://www.gameandfishmag.com/hunting/guns-shooting/gf_aa116902a/

I also forgot to mention that when cleaning anything with a rifled bore like a rifle or 22 or pistol be sure you use a graphite cleaning rod or a rod of some other material. If you use a steel rod or another abrasive material you can damage your gun's crown which can cause accuracy problems in the future.

Also, I reccomend staying away from the "bore snakes". I hunt and shoot professionally and the snakes are great for in the field but they are no substitute for a real cleaning as they tend to leave big chunks of powder and other fouling in the bore, especially in shotguns.

Old 10-16-2006, 01:41 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-16-2006, 01:45 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-16-2006, 01:50 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]