Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 need a tip on storage >

need a tip on storage

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

need a tip on storage

Old 07-18-2006, 07:24 AM

Default need a tip on storage

On this old bow, an allen wrench adjusts the draw weight from 45-60#. I shoot at 60, I was wondering whether you would recommend to drop it back down to 45 when I put it up for the night. Also, label calls 45-60 the peak weight, under that it says, "relaxed weight: 28-34". I guess(?) this may be self-explanatory, but I'm not really sure I know what it means. I don't see it, but I'm guessing there's maybe another way to drop a lot of the weight off for storage?

Old 07-18-2006, 07:49 AM

Default RE: need a tip on storage

It wouldn't hurt to back it down.

The key to storing any bow is to keep it out of the heat.
Old 07-18-2006, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

I am pretty sure the relaxed weight would be the weight after your at full draw which would mean it got about 40-50% letoff. I would never back down my bow for over night storage or even over season storage. I just keep my in a cool and dry place and all has been fine over the yrs for me.

Trytan
Old 07-18-2006, 09:21 AM

A compound bow is in a relaxed state when there’s no pulling action on the string, wheels and/or cams. There is very little advantage of turning down the drew weight when storing a bow. Just keep it in a cool dry place.
Old 07-18-2006, 09:30 AM

Oh, yeah, for the relaxed weight question. As to the storage, it stays in an air-conditioned basement at night and morning. When I'm home during the afternoon, I just leave the bow out in the yard, in the shade. The reason being, I don't smoke inside, so I'll step out, shoot 5 or 6, light up and go retrieve. Shoot again, and after I get the arrows back I'm about done with the cig, so I go back in and the bow is ready when I come back out. I know it's cooler out when the season opens, but I assume the bow is designed to spend most of the day outside regardless. I also imagine the rapid temp change between A/C and outdoors (over and over throughout the day) would be worse for the bow than just leaving it in one place for a while, although I could be wrong on this one.
Sure do appreciate any thoughts or comments on this!