Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

300 Savage lever action help

Old 10-15-2006, 02:58 PM
Typical Buck

Default 300 Savage lever action help

My 12 year old nefew is hunting for the first time this year and he is a real little kid frame wise. Not wanting to buy a smaller rifle now that he will grow out of we were looking for a smaller rifle for him to use this year.
Well grandma opened her safe and this 300 Savage popped out as a smaller rifle that looks like it might be a good chioce.
The stock is cracked and has a little rust and was missing the butt plate.
Took it into Sportsmans Warehouse and immediately drew attention to the guy behind the gun counter and was interested in buying the rifle.
As I walked through the store several other people really liked the rifle and wanted to check it out.
Anyone have some knowlege about this firearm? I was told by several in the store they don't makem likethat that anymore. How about it's value? I believe the value is in the action as I was told it had to be hand done instead of machined.
And finally ( god I hate asking this question because I hate seing the same posts every year on the same subject) But would this be a good Deer and Elk rifle say to 150 yards max? I am unfamilular with the cartridge and it's performance.
I went ahead and got the Federal Power Shok 180 Gr cartridges and plan on sighting it in as soon as the rain stops.
Told grandma it might be worth something should I let the boy shoot it this year. Her reply was it's been in the family a long time and I don't care what it's worth let him use it.
Anything you old gun guys could give me on this would be greatly appriciated.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 300 Savage lever action help

Killed many deer with one....they are fairly valuable....Dad sold a clean but used one of mine[>:]for $650 a couple years ago, dont know why he sold it out from under me(my first rifle).....it is a fine shorter range all around gun....performance on deer with 150 grain bullets was awesome and accuracy was great..
Old 10-15-2006, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just a tiny tad less powerful than a .308 but a dandy deer cartridge and a sweet woods gun.
From the picture yours doesn't appear to be a real old one....maybe from the '60's,
But you can go to the following website and plug in your serial number to find out it's age

http://www.savage99.com/dates.htm
Old 10-15-2006, 06:26 PM
Typical Buck

8mm/06
Went to the site typed in the serial number say's date of manufacture 1906.
Hmm seems to me it's not that old but thats the serial number on the rifle. The wife say's her and grampa sanded and refinished the stock when see was a little girl 13 or 14.
So the stock may look a little different than one that is that old I guess.
Thanks for the info . Have been doing a littleresearch and am comming up with the very low end for an Elk rifle on this caliber.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

my brothers got one, i guess its worth $800, but with the scope on it i would think it may take the value down.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

Good I just wanted to make sure I didn't have some relic from the past worth thousands and hand it over to a 12 year old to drag around in the woods.
Guess I'll just go ahead and let him use it till he grows out of it and then back in the gun safe for the next generation.
Old 10-15-2006, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 2 and they are worth $600 to $800. They made 2 version of this gun one was a take down modelwhere the barrel come off and it comes in a case about 3 foot long if you have this model with the case you are looking at $1200.00 the ather is a standard model. You said the stock was crack you can get a stock and forarm from nurice arms for $100. The 300 savage is a great round and should serve him will from deer to elk. Go here and check at 200 yards you still 1500 ft of energy that is more than enoughfor elk.

Ballistics Charts pick 300 savage and I think it will change you're mind

Old 10-15-2006, 07:55 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks renfrowridge
Thats a great site for info now have it bookmarked.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:02 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-16-2006, 02:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey, if the site puts it at 1906 then it could very well be. Perhaps the stock is a replacement or the refinish job just gives it a modern look. I was going by the shape of the stock mostly when thinking it was a more recent vintage.
A good gunsmith can tell you more about the rifle,....in other words whether it has been modified, had parts replaced etc.
Bottom line, ... if it's a shooter in safe working condition you've got a fine tool to be used for generations to come.

Quick Reply: 300 Savage lever action help

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.