Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning and Remington

Old 10-08-2006, 09:00 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Browning and Remington

I have both and can't find any negatives with either. I must have something wrong with me LOL. I like the Browning mag system and most of my guns have tang safeties so I like both of these features on my A-Bolt. Never really wanted to adjust the trigger either.

Go to a shop that has both. Throw them up to your shoulder a few times, cycle the bolts a few times and see which one feels the best. Either will do for a fine shooting rifle.
Old 10-09-2006, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

troutman..almost the same difference
Old 10-09-2006, 06:19 PM

Like many others, I own and use both.
For me, my Brownings fit better, shoot better and carry better than my 700's. Most people form an emotional attachment to certain rifles and I have a beat up A-bolt that has almost no bluing left and well worn stock; I would not trade it for a brand new 700 or another Abolt for that matter
I buy, sell and trade 700's quite often but so far I've never felt the need to replace any Browning that I own.
Old 10-14-2006, 10:52 PM

I bought a remington and a browning together, at the same time, 16 years ago, and I love them both, but I will put it plain and straight.

The Browning is a much more beautiful gun. The lines are clean. The rosewood caps are a nice addition. It is very well balanced. It has nevermoved POI or needed to be sighted back in in 16 years. The bolt throw is very clean, and I for one happen to love the tang safety. Ilike the detatchable box magazine. It can be a butt every once in a while if I am hurrying to get it in the gun and not paying attention, but that is my fault not the guns.

The remington, is one tough son of a gun. It is not fancy, but it shoots and is very reliable. It has been a little bit unrulely before when I tried to change bullets, but it fell in line with my help and a little patience. The bolt throw is not as smooth as I would like, but I believe it is designed for function, not necessarily ease and / or smoothness.

So in the end, I guess I should put it this way. If you want you can spend a little more money an have it all, or youcansave a few dollars and get great function and shooting but not go after the looks end of the gun.

Good luck and good Hunting
Old 10-14-2006, 11:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Ilike the detatchable box magazine. It can be a butt every once in a while if I am hurrying to get it in the gun and not paying attention, but that is my fault not the guns.
I found it a pain in the butt because it is a poor design.It is more complicated and slower than any other detachable mag system that I have ever used.
The same can be said of the trigger assembly and the bolt.Both contain more moving parts than necessary which is a disadvantage in harsh hunting conditions.Brownings offer very good fit and finish,and I prefer my citori to any other o&u shotgun,but the a-bolt is simply overdesigned with more parts than necessary for a hunting rifle.
Old 10-16-2006, 11:05 AM
Typical Buck

Own 'em both, but I would say that I lean a little bit more towards the Browning (A-bolt).