Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Remington or Browning >

Remington or Browning

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington or Browning

Old 09-02-2005, 11:43 AM

Default Remington or Browning

Alright fellers, I'm in the market for a new gun, i'm going with 30.06 and bolt action. My question is, Is the browning a-bolt stainless stalker worth the extra $400 over the remington 700 sps stainless? I have been priced the browning for $749 and $479 for the remington. I personally have never owned a browning i own a few remington shotguns and haven't had much problem with them. Feel free to post what you think of these two guns!!

Thanks, Bamabuck
Old 09-02-2005, 12:00 PM

Default RE: Remington or Browning

remington
Old 09-02-2005, 12:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't get too excited over the Remington with all the bad publicity over it's head. Normally they are a serious well made gun and if you was talking about buying used I'd be tempted to recommend the Remmy. I've owned several and had nothing but good success with them.

The Browning A-Bolt is a fine gun and I like them as well.....worth $400 more?.....No....but what's reliability worth?

Frankly if Remington is to your liking I'd be buying used. There's a lot of very fine used BDL and ADL guns out there.....
Old 09-02-2005, 01:06 PM

Whats the news over there head? I've always thought remington to be a well made gun. Its hard to find the particular gun that i'm wanting "used" around here. Plus i'm going to buy a gun to keep for a long time.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:20 PM

That is a hard choice. I would also like to know the "bad news"? Maybe he is talking about the newer Remingtons or something.

I have a 700adl in .270 and its the best high powered rifle I've ever owned. Hands down.
This is a hard call b/c I have both Remingtons and Brownings and love them both. However, I do not think that theres a $400 difference of quality b/t these rifles, unless one has changed big time since I bought mine.
Old 09-02-2005, 01:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have owned several model700's,two model 7's and a model 78.All have been accurate and totally reliable.Almost everyone that I hunt with uses a model 700 and none have had any problems.I would not choose the browning even if the price was the same.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you considered a Winchester Model 70?
Old 09-02-2005, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was referring to the number of reports I've read of the bolt handles coming off, the extractors failing, the J-Lock failing, excessive headspace and of course the complaints about their service department.

None of these things have been my experience but then again I haven't bought a new remington for over 20 years. Of the ones I owned there was no complaints from me.

Having said that I don't see how one cannot notice the numerous reports of poor quality and service from Big Green.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Vapodog

I was referring to the number of reports I've read of the bolt handles coming off, the extractors failing, the J-Lock failing, excessive headspace and of course the complaints about their service department.

None of these things have been my experience but then again I haven't bought a new remington for over 20 years. Of the ones I owned there was no complaints from me.

Having said that I don't see how one cannot notice the numerous reports of poor quality and service from Big Green.
I wonder just how many of those reports are simply heresay based on very few incidents?The way things are spread on the internet a person might be led to belive that you are in the minority to have a remington gun that hasn't failed or a sako rifle that didn't have the barrel burst or a wsm rifle that actually feeds properly.Just look at how many times the same pictures of one particular brown bear appeared on the forums and how the stories and it's size grew each time.I prefer to judge a product based on actual experiences of myself and the people that I trust to tell the actual story.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree, my own actual experience trumps everything else as far as I'm concerned. That's why I asked if he hadthought aboutthe Winchester Model 70 because my experience with the Remington and Browning has been such that I won't consider buying either one of those.

Quick Reply: Remington or Browning

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.