Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Shotguns and Chokes >

Shotguns and Chokes

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shotguns and Chokes

Old 08-19-2006, 04:16 AM

Default Shotguns and Chokes

I just got into hunting dove and teal last year... Question is I have a remington model 1100 that's about thirty years old. I didn't have a bit of trouble taking my limit everytime I went out.... Sometimes faster than the folks I was hunting with....
So my question is. With a gun like this I can't shoot a choke, so when does one come into play??
Would it be best to purchase another shotgun that handles a choke?
Is the remington 1100 out of it's league now??

-D
Old 08-19-2006, 04:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shotguns and Chokes

You're not out of your league if you are hitting what you're shooting at. Your gun has a fixed choke, probably full or modified. There are after-market barrels available for the 1100 that accomodate screw-in choke tubes. However, it doesn't sound like you need one.
Old 08-19-2006, 09:11 AM

screw in chokes are not any better than a fixed choke. They just make the gun more versatile is all. You can tailer the choke or pattern to different shooting disciplines or game if you want. The farther the target will be the tighter the choke you want. The closer and faster the target the more open you want the choke.

Skeet uses an open choke and trap uses a tighter choke.

Upland birds that come out fast and close require an open choke, duck and goose hunting usually uses a tighter choke. And turkey hunting an even tighter choke yet.

Doesn't mean you can't do it all with one gun and one choke, you will just have to be a better shooter with a tighter choke up close is all.

Paul
Old 08-20-2006, 05:42 PM

First off, If your huning dove, the only choke you probaly will ever need except for opening weekend is a modified. I have hunted dove for 7 years now with both a 20 and 12 gauge and modified is the best choice. On opening weekend Ill put an improved cylinder or for quail an improved. But fixed chokes are just as good, but personally if it doesnt come with screw in chokes nowadays I wouldnt buy it. But thats me.Hope that helps

DU
Old 08-21-2006, 11:15 AM

Well, all that info help. I was just wondering if I needed to retire the 1100 and pick up something newer... Seems like everyone around me has newer guns and swaping out chokes... But to tell you the truth they never seem to out hunt me..