Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
12 ga. chokes >

12 ga. chokes

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

12 ga. chokes

Old 12-29-2002, 07:34 AM

Default 12 ga. chokes

What is each 12 ga. choke best used for? (xtra full, full, imp. cyl., modified, etc.) Thanks!!
Old 12-29-2002, 08:14 AM

Default RE: 12 ga. chokes

I don't think anyone will be able to give you an absolute answer. It all depends upon the distance you plan on taking the majority of your shots at, the size and type (steel vs. lead) of shot you are using, the type of game, and other variables.

As a general rule, the more open chokes are used for closer shots and/or shots at faster moving game. The more closed shots are used at further and/or slower moving game.

Also, all chokes are not created equal. While a modified choke should pattern tighter than an improved cylinder choke, you may find that one brand of modified choke actually shoots a more open pattern than another brand of modified choke. Plus different loads will react differently in different chokes.

I've used Xtra full or full chokes for turkey and skeet chokes for grouse hunting, but I generaly find 90% of all my shooting can be handled by an improved cylinder or modified choke.
Old 12-29-2002, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 12 ga. chokes

Also remember that larger shot sizes, harder shot (like copper plated, or the new tungsten and heavy shot, and steel), and higher velocity loads will pattern tighter in the same choke than smaller, softer, slower loads.

For instance, I use full choke when shooting trap (any range) because I use #8 target loads. This helps give me tight patterns, good breaks and also lets me reach out farther. When shooting skeet I prefer imp. cyl. (an actual skeet tube would probably be better, but I don't have one) because of the relatively short ranges and speeds of the birds.

When hunting pheasents I like to use modified with #4 high velocity heavy game loads. Good range without turning the birds into red mist and a memory.

For "rifled" slugs use imp. cyl. for best accuracy.

Mike

Gun control means putting the second bullet through the same hole as the first- Ted Nugent
NRA Member
"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Ben Franklin