Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

BPS Chokes?

Old 02-24-2004, 10:38 PM
Spike

Default BPS Chokes?

Any one used one of these Browning Full strut chokes in there BPS?
Old 02-25-2004, 06:05 AM

Default RE: BPS Chokes?

I`m not sure about the Full-strut but the ported turkey choke that came with my NWTF BPS was as good as anything out there. I use a Kicks GT but it only made a small improvement.
Old 02-25-2004, 06:33 AM
Typical Buck

...my nieghbor,has got a pattern master choke in his,and it eats a turkey target to
shreads at 40 yards....it,s unreal....
Old 02-25-2004, 06:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used the Factory ported, extra-full turkey choke for quite a few years. It throws a good pattern. I could count on 20 hits in the head/neck at 40 yd. with Win.#4's or 6's. A couple of years ago I got an Undertaker tube and had the forcing cone lengthened. I get an average of about 30 hits at the same range now. I've got one of the older model BPS's with the regular Invector choke system.
Old 02-29-2004, 09:46 AM
Spike

Thanks Ya,ll for the input, ive ended up getting the browning full strut tube but havent had a chance to pattern it yet. For those not familiar with it its a extended, directionally ported tube with a .105 constriction. Ive also got a Hi-Viv, Tri-Viz site to try out. All this stuff looks pretty impressive but the proof is in the pudding so ill let yall know how it works. Thanx agin for all the help...

MtnGuy75
Old 03-04-2004, 11:09 PM
Spike

Ok guys i dunno if this is good or bad so you tell me. I patterned my gun( Brning BPS 12 GA w/ 26" barrel) with the new factory full strut tube with an outers turkey target at 40 yds. The results kinda surprised me but im new to this......

My first shot was actually with the factory full choke and a Rem 3" w/ 2 oz. of #6. Gave me 7 hits in the marked vitals on the target.

Second round of shots was with the new choke with the same load. Gave me 10 hits in the vitals with 21 in the circle.

Third round was with 3" #5 Rem. loads with 18 vital shots and around 30 in the circle.

So outa curiosty i loaded a 3" #4 Rem load and made a few shots. The best of the round was with 31 in the vitals with well over 60 in the circle. With the other ten or more targets i fired on this seemed to be the norm not a fluke.

All this rather confused me because everyone told me the smaller shot would always pattern tighter. Either way its all good ive spent about 6 hours total and around 80 rounds of diffrent sizes of shot and this load far surpasses all of them. Whish is good i guess cuz i bout 2 cases of this same load at a local department store closing sale for around 1.25 a box so i think ill have plenty of ammo.

Ok theres the low down, needless to say im happy and ready for them gobblers this year

MtnGuy
Old 03-05-2004, 03:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

The factory x-full is more open than a lot of after-market tubes. You'll generally shoot better groups with #4's from a more open choke. My BPS will shoot #4's as tight as 6's. With the factory tube it shot #4's better than #6's or 5's. By the way, outstanding patterns. You're set.