Community
Turkey Hunting Whether it's spring or fall doesn't matter to this bunch. Great tips on calling, bustin flocks, using blinds and more.

Chokes

Old 03-22-2009, 04:18 AM
Fork Horn

Default Chokes

I have a ? I have a HS Ubdertaker and use Remington Nitro Turkey Load.
Now both of them are cheap, the choke was 19.99 and the ammo is 8.99 for 10. I have a mossberg 500 and this is my pattern. So is it just hype why everyone buys the most expensive stuff?

30yrd 23/4 #4
Old 03-22-2009, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Chokes

It's not hype.... you really do get what you pay for.... we've tried the cheaper loads and cheaper ammo as well. The results simply are NOT the same.

This is what an Indian Creek, Black Diamond Strike custom choke and Hevi-13 does...... 205 hits in head and neck!

Old 03-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Fork Horn

How far was that shot?
Old 03-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Typical Buck

I think kinda like you whatisup. I shoot the factory Remington super full choke that came with the gun and Winchester Supreme turkey loads, which is fairly inexpensive but has always given great results. inside of 40 yards I think the super expensive chokes and loads, while nice, are a bit unnecessary.
Old 03-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

The more expensive chokes and loads are only necessary if you are looking to improve pattern performance and or increase your range.
No offense to the original poster, but I would not shoot that pattern farther than that. Will it kill turkeys at that range? Looks like it will. Personally I like to leave more of a margin for error, and I would like to get out to 40 yards at least which should be easily attainable with #6's.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:46 AM
Fork Horn

I like to get them within 20 yards. The pic also looks deceiving, themain pattern is only about 10" across.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:13 AM
Dominant Buck

You have more than enough pellets in the kill zone. I shoot a 20 gage pump with an Undertaker choke, even using cheap old Federal 2.75" #7.5 field loadsit will shear a turkey's head off at that range. At 40 yards it still puts more than enough pellets in the kill zone to do the job twice. Know your range, your ammo, and what your equipment is capable of and you'll do just fine.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:57 AM
Typical Buck

I really can't tell much from your picture because it doesn't contain a measured circle and I don't know how big that black aiming point is.

I tend to agree with Hurricane. That pattern will kill a turkey but I wouldn't feel confident at distances beyond what you shot.

Why do I use more expensive shells? Because I can nearly double that pattern at 40 yards. My 50 yard pattern approximates your picture but with better uniformity.

I only plan to shoot 4 shots this year - I don't care what the ammo costs because in the grand scheme of things it is a minute drop in the bucket compared to what we spend to turkey hunt (gas, license, equipment, travel, eats, etc).

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I use a $22.00 Star Dot choke in an old,beat-up Mossberg 835- I don't mind using cheap stuff, as long as it performs the best.

Old 03-23-2009, 04:15 PM
Spike

I went to nitro this year and my 40 yard pattern is as good or better than my 30 yard pattern with lead.I hated paying that money but i hope they are worth it on those longshoots.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: whatisup02
I like to get them within 20 yards. The pic also looks deceiving, themain pattern is only about 10" across.
Then you are good to go!

ORIGINAL: kevin1
You have more than enough pellets in the kill zone. I shoot a 20 gage pump with an Undertaker choke, even using cheap old Federal 2.75" #7.5 field loadsit will shear a turkey's head off at that range. At 40 yards it still puts more than enough pellets in the kill zone to do the job twice. Know your range, your ammo, and what your equipment is capable of and you'll do just fine.
Not trying to be mean here, but after years and years of patterning I highly doubt that you are getting enough pellets at 30 yards with a 2.75" shell out of a 20ga to shear a turkeys head off, and I would like to see your patterns at 40 yards with that thing.

Quick Reply: Chokes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.