Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 SLUG QUESTION >

SLUG QUESTION

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

SLUG QUESTION

Old 05-02-2006, 09:08 PM
Dnk
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: SLUG QUESTION

My Benelli shoots 2 3/4 loads (3 inch chamber) well enough for a neck shot on a doe last year at 125 yards using Winchester Supreme Partition Gold sabots. There are two Winchester loads you can buy and the slower one key holes at 125 yrds. I think the one I use is quoted at 1900 ftps. No full diameter slug should be shot through a rifled bbl. Key holes indicate an unstable slug which is what happens to a Berneke through a rifled bbl (too much spin) or a sabotted slug past its intended range. I can keep Bernekes in a 4 inch group in my Ithaca Deer Slayer smooth bbl at 85 yds. That bbl is tappered and shoots great but spits out other slugs into a 6 inch group at 75 yds. I have not tried the Lightfields but they are supposed to be pretty good and are part full diameter and part sabot (hybred) so they slow down fast compared to the Partition Gold rounds. I prefer the flatter trajectory of the Partition Gold. My hunting partner shoots a Browning A bolt and he gets 1.5" or less at 10 yds. Yes Browning did make a 12 gauge in the A bolt and I wish I had one.