Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 870 slug gun question >

870 slug gun question

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

870 slug gun question

Old 01-22-2009, 07:12 PM
Spike

Default 870 slug gun question

have any of you had your barrel pinned?did it help?how much was it?also,does anyone know where you can get a barrel/magazine clamp without adding an extension?if you could find a high quality one that would lock the two together,it would stiffen the barrel quite a bit.ive noticed one on the tarhunt 870 dsg conversions.thanks.
Old 01-23-2009, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 870 slug gun question

Pinning the barrel would certainly help with the accuracy as it ensures that there is always a constant alignment between the barrel and receiver. This becomes supremely important if your scope is mounted on the receiver.

Another option (and probably a less expensive one) would be to switch to a cantilever barrel and mount your scope there. With the cantilever, the scope is mounted directly on the barrel, not the receiver. Any sort of misalignment from the receiver to the barrel becomes far less significant.

One distinct advantage I can attest to is that removal and subsequent reinstallation of the barrel has little to no effect on the zero of the scope. The Hastings cantilever I have for my BPS gets switched on and off a couple times per year and I have yet to have it not keep zero.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Spike

my barrel is cantilever.
Old 01-24-2009, 09:39 AM
Typical Buck

Then pinning the barrel will have a much smaller effect on overall accuracy.

You would probably be better served saving the money and trying out a bunch of different slugs to determine which one your particular gun likes.
It really is amazing how poorly some gun/slug combinations shoot, but the same gun and a different slug can be a real tack driver.

Old 02-17-2009, 08:02 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: 98Redline

Then pinning the barrel will have a much smaller effect on overall accuracy.

You would probably be better served saving the money and trying out a bunch of different slugs to determine which one your particular gun likes.
It really is amazing how poorly some gun/slug combinations shoot, but the same gun and a different slug can be a real tack driver.
`
i agree.... i shoot a 870 wingmaster with a cantilever hastings (1:32 twist) and an aimpoint red dot up top. i can cover a 3 shot group with a 50 cent piece at 50 yards when shooting lightfields 3"hybred elites (orange box). groups still hold tight out to 125 yards or so.......on the other side shooting hornady sst's i couldnt hit the broad side of a bard @ 50yds!!!!