Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Slug Question >

Slug Question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Slug Question

Old 09-14-2004, 04:03 PM

Default Slug Question

Can I shoot a slug through my shotgun that has a full choke? I may be deer hunting in a shotgun only area. I have hunted deer with my shotgun before but I have only used buck shot. If I could use a slug I would.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:14 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-14-2004, 04:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Slug Question

what type of shotgun do you have? many manufactures make there own slug barrels, both rifled, and smooth bore. If they do make both, and you can swing it, buy a rifled barrle, with the cantilever scope mount, and get yourself a good scope, for the money the bushnell trophy models are good.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:33 PM

It is an older Winchester Model 2200 that I bought used. I have never seen another model 2200. Can't even find anything about it on the Winchester web site. Shoots fine though. I'm not going to buy another shot gun. I will only being hunting in the shotgun only area for 1 or 2 days max. I will probably just stick to the buck shot.
Old 09-14-2004, 04:36 PM
bigcountry

I did for year when I moved to a shotgun state. Finally said to myself, "your going to hunting for a while, get the good tools." I got a cantilever barrel. Good decision. But sure, you can shoot thru the full. Its rough on them. The full really destorts the slug and hense accruacy.

Old 09-14-2004, 04:56 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-14-2004, 05:06 PM

Thanks guys,

JD338, I can hunt with a muzzleloader, but it is a separate season altogether where I live. Thats ok though, just means I will have to buy myself a shiny new muzzleloader
Old 09-15-2004, 10:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Your best bet for slugs through a full choke barrel is to use the rifled slug with the smallest diameter. I read somewhere that Remington sluggers were the smallest for 12 ga. rifled slugs.

Buckshot, if legal where you hunt can work fine, just pattern the gun and limit your range so you get at least 50% pattern within say a 10" circle.

If you get acceptable accuracy with a slug out to 50 yds, I'g go with a slug.
Old 09-15-2004, 10:56 PM
Fork Horn

as far as I can tell with my older 12 ga with a smooth bore 28" barrel and a selecta choke I use full choke ,, that was what I was told would be best keeps slug from wandering and I can hit what I'm aiming at , at around 40 to 60 yards within a 4 inch pattern.. gotta do more longer range practice to see how the pattern holds up but I like the remington slugger info may try it's all a larnin process

Old 09-16-2004, 12:33 PM

Believe it or not, using slugs in a full choke gun will litterally "shoot" the choke out of the gun. Sure it will shoot fine shot patterns at first, but after slug hunting with it a few seasons, the next time you use it for squirrel or rabbit don't expect to have that same full choke pattern...

Quick Reply: Slug Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.