Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Slug Question >

Slug Question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Slug Question

Old 03-24-2005, 07:04 AM
Spike

Default Slug Question

I just got a rifled slug barrel. I have always used a .270 for deer and don't know that much about slugs.

I know I can use Sabots in it. Can I use rifled slugs?

Specifically these: http://www.winchester.com/products/c...use=3&gauge=12

Just want to be safe.

Thanks
Old 03-24-2005, 07:06 AM
bigcountry

Default RE: Slug Question

Sure can. a rifled barrel is designed however for sabot'd bullets. You usually can get better accuracy from sabots thru a rifled barrel. But every once i a while, that can change also.

the rifled slug might lead up the barrel is shot quite a bit.

Old 03-24-2005, 10:11 AM

do not shoot rifled slugs in that rifled barrel. shoot sabots. the rifled slugs willclog up the grooves and will hurt the accracy. if you need help on what slugs shoot good here are some shells i have had good luck with. winchester super X made by BRi and Lightfield hybrids are what i find to shoot the best. just remember that at close range the riffled barrel will shoot fairly flat but after about 125 yards it falls rapidly. good luck, you will like the riffled barrel
Old 03-24-2005, 12:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

Kbrumback...20 is right on this one, I would not use those slugs. They are rifled...as in for guns that are not. Either the barrel should be rifled, or the slug, not both. Those are meant for a smooth bore gun. They attempt to create a rifled effect to stabilize the bullet using there "rifled" design.
More importantly 1).how much are you willing to spend on ammo 2).how important is accuracy to you 3).how far do you plan on shooting.
I can give you Sabot recommendations, but need to know those three factors in order to save you some time and money.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:05 PM
bigcountry

Goodness graceous, you all read too much internet reports.

Old 03-24-2005, 02:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bigcountry...I agree with you, but I spent alot of time and money on shooting rifled shotguns, (that is all that is allowed where I hunt whitetail). So if I can share anything that I learned, it makes it all that much more worth it.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:49 PM
bigcountry

I do the same. but lead can be cleaned out. Its all I used to shoot. Sluggers that is. I saw my buddy mossy getting outstanding groups with brennekes in a rifled barrel. I have never had great accuracy success, but after watching his groups with 4 dollar/box ammo, I was impressed.

Old 03-24-2005, 06:21 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I do the same. but lead can be cleaned out. Its all I used to shoot. Sluggers that is. I saw my buddy mossy getting outstanding groups with brennekes in a rifled barrel. I have never had great accuracy success, but after watching his groups with 4 dollar/box ammo, I was impressed.

BC, I HAVE SHOT THEM ALSO WITH NO PROBLEMS.JUST A LEAD REMOVER SOLUTION!
Old 03-24-2005, 07:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

This piece sums up just a few of the arguments for sabots pretty well.

"Why use a sabot slug? There are several good reasons to give a sabot slug a try in your gun. First, the plastic sabot reduces the weight of the slug, thereby allowing the slug to fly farther and faster. This also means that for any given distance the trajectory is much flatter, allowing for greater accuracy (assuming all else is equal). Second, the sabot helps keep the barrel from becoming leaded and dirty".
NORTH AMERICAN WHITETAIL
Old 03-24-2005, 08:02 PM
Dominant Buck

Yes, jcc I also shoot Win BRI sabots. The post said you should'nt shoot
lead slugs out of a rifle barrel! Why not? All that can happen is, you will
have to clean it a little more...that's all.
With Sabots you have to use a plastic remover solvent.

Quick Reply: Slug Question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.