Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Darn 243's and Magnums >

Darn 243's and Magnums

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Darn 243's and Magnums

Old 12-19-2005, 01:26 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Darn 243's and Magnums

Probably because itis a myth.I have seen the results of several tests that proved that heavy slow bullets deflected just as much as lighter or faster bullets.
[/quote]

Same thoughts here!!!
Old 12-19-2005, 01:35 PM
Typical Buck

The same reason Swift just changed their bullet to expand from 1700-3300 fps rather than 1330-3000. Shooting deer at close range with 7, and 300 ultra mags hit deer outside most bullet manufactures design limits, thus bullet doesn't work right and results in us bashing it on the internet, all because we don't read the details of the bullet we use.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:41 PM

Since you've mentioned generalizations, I guess maybe I have made generalizations that are not necessarily valid.

The 243 - well actually 6mm - Although many swear by this cartridge, my experience has been the deer run away without any indication they have been hit. I've learned to give them 30 minutes, andfind them within 50 feet of where they were standing - without much of a blood trail. It kills really good, but does not seem to knock them over where they stand. Honestly makes me a little nervous using it - but I've never not harvested a deer I've shot at with this cartidge. One time, I was so convinced that deer was not hit I did not go looking for blood. About 3 hours later I was a little cold, and decided to take a walk. Since I was in the area - I discovered the deer down about right where I last saw it running off - my almost bad!

I've always been leary of ballistic tips, and have never tried using them for hunting. Who knows, maybe they are just fine.

I've got a Win model 70 that has disappointed me in so many workmanship ways - but doggone it, it's such a pretty rifle I still carry it, and would never part with it. This one gun when brand new had the worst trigger I ever bought - fixed for $40.00; had a floor plate that would not release - I think that added about $10.00 at the same time as my trigger was getting set, and the bolt release would not release enough for the bolt to drop out - that was another $25.00 at the gun smith. With all that disappointment, you'd think I'd hate the gun - but it is still so darn pretty...

I've got a 270 in a Rem that groups better than any other gun I've got. I've killed every deer I've shot at with it, but the amazing part is none of the bullets hit where I was aiming them.... Not even close! I'm shooting a rib shot, and break it's neck.... I take it to the range and never have a flyer - I have to make a bad shot to get one outside of the moa. Go figger - I'm totally expect the next time I shoot it in the field, I'll kill a deer hitting it somewhere other than where I aim!

Oh, and yeah on the 7 Mag. I've got 2 and neither one of them will get to 3200 fps without pressure signs - let alone +3400. I get between 3050 and 3150 with mine - 140 gr bullets. I've also got a 280 Ackley - which does everything my 7 Mag's do. Don't get me wrong, I love the 7 Mag's, but the word Magnum doesn't make them anything the 280 Ackley is not.

Which brings me to my final generality - I've spent way too much time thinking I need a more than 3000 fps cartridge, and have continued to amaze myself with how far these slow 2700-2900 fps guns shoot accurately. And I totally agree that Magnum's don't make a bad shooter, and little guns don't make a good shooter.If you don't spend time at the range, your mostly banking on being a lucky shooter. Shoot more, shoot more often, and your never br left wondering where your going to hit - unless your shooting my 270!

Old 12-19-2005, 03:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

Crimedog. Excellent points. It suprises me that bullet choice and design is hardly given any consideration by so many hunters. Certainly it seem that whats on sale seems to be the main factor. Its so true that many cartridges Big and Small, get a bad rap because of poor bullet choice by the user. Nothing is more important. Not velocity, not ME but bullet selection, matching the bullet to the game.

KareImp. I had a 308 that was the opposite of your 270. At the range I would pull my hair out trying to get that gun to shoot a group. It never would do it. Groups of 3-4 inches was about normal. However in the field it seemed to always hit right where I aimed or so close it was scarey. It was always and remaims a mystery to me but when it was time to hunt, I knew it would do the jom. Now my new 270 seems to hit exactly where you put the crosshair. One would expect that to be true but as some of us have seen, it ain't always true. I guess it proves a point of mine that some guns are accurate and some guns are just more shootable. Maybe its the trigger, maybe its the scope. I don't know but it keeps things interesting.

I had the same expierence with the 243 while guiding deer hunters. Many deer hit with the 243 would run off over the hill. I got to where I would just follow them for a ways and usually found them dead pretty close by. I wonder how many are lost because people think they missed. I talk to a lot of hunters and did so even more when I had my gun store. I heard this same thing from many gun buyers who wanted to trade their 243 in on something bigger. Many of these same guys would be back to trade their bigger rifles for still bigger rifles. One customer I had stepped up about every year until he ordered a 340 Weatherby mag. He only hunted deer. He must have finally hit one right because he was sold on the big Weatherby In those days I just kept filling my tags with my 6.5x55 Mauser.

Ballistic tips have worked well for me in every caliber that I have tried. I really like them in my 250 Savage rifles. As far as velocities go, Most of my deer have been taken by the 6.5x55 and the 308. These rifles are loaded to about 2600- 2775. With the bullets that I use, they perfom perfectly at those velocities. Deer seldom take more than a couple steps with these rifles and loads. I believe in middle weight bullets at medium velocities. It puts less stress on the bullets and just kills things quick. It could be bullet hang time (the time the bullet spends in the target) Or maybe the bullets that I have settled on just perform best at those speeds.