Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Weatherby Magnums? >

Weatherby Magnums?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Weatherby Magnums?

Old 11-11-2004, 12:47 PM

Default Weatherby Magnums?

I have been using the standard calibers all my life and now that im getting more into the shooting side along with hunting im interested in purchasing a custom .270 weatherby magnum on a remington action. Due to the high price of these rounds i would like to reload for this cartridge and am wondering what the differance between a .270win and a .270 weatherby is?
Old 11-11-2004, 12:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Weatherby Magnums?

I think that you get hit the hardest in the cost of the brass, and of course you use a little more powder too, but they are good cartridges in my opinion, i loaded some 270 wby at 3300 fps with 130 NBT and was getting one hole groups out of a synthetic mark V, also killed an antelope at 300 yds with that.
Old 11-11-2004, 02:33 PM

.270 Wby Mag is Ed weatherby favorite. It is fast and flat and hit hard. It is accurate and easy to load for. It is a great deer and with the right bullet ok for elk. The initial cost is worth the extra you get from it. Get your brass for xmas and your bullets for your birthday and have a great hunting rifle for life. I prefer the weatherby accumark as my wepon of choice. The weatherby action is better than the rem. You cannnot beat the nine lug bolt. Ok good luck and enjoy!!!
Old 11-11-2004, 03:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would just step up to the 7mmremmag which shoots a a bullet .007" larger in diameter but with much cheaper and much more of a variety of factory loads.Trajectory and recoil will be virtually identical and heavier bullet weights are available should you want them.As to comparing the weatherby action against the remington action, the nine locking lugs is actually a disadvantage because it is virtually impossible to get all nine lugs to carry equal loads.Take a look at what actions the custom builders use and you will not see many weatherby actions.You will also not see many weatherby actions at target shooting events.
Old 11-11-2004, 03:50 PM
bigcountry

Well, I am not a huge fan of two things. One, is a belt on cases. Two is a bunch of freebore. 270weatherby has both. I suggest the newer 270WSM. Not going to exceed the weatherby velocity, but just as good.

Brass is getting cheaper and cheaper, and its the future, plain and simple.

The weatherbys can be accurate, but they can be very finicky on bullet seating depth due to the freebore.

Old 11-11-2004, 04:44 PM
DM

You can make the 270 WBY. cases out of "less expensive" brass, but no matter, i'm with the "get a 7 Rem. mag." crowd!! In my opinion, it's a better round anyway!

I also agree that those 9 locking lugs are NO advantage, as they are more prone to jamming when junk gets in the action, and as was said above, all 9 of them aren't carrying the load anyway.

"If" you take HUGE amounts of time "before" barreling the action, you can lap them in, but why???? I'd rather have a 700 Rem. action if it was me, and it WAS, as i've owned several Wby's in the past, and have "none" now, but i do still have numerous 700 Rem. actions on custom guns!

Drilling Man
Old 11-16-2004, 09:17 PM

i would buy a 300 win mag or any of the wsm's, why buy a 270 weatherby when its preformace is almost identical to any of the other magnums and other magnums have cheaper ammo and better availiability
Old 11-16-2004, 11:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

The .270 Wby. Mag. cartridge will do a fine job for you. Good luck.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:01 AM
Typical Buck

I agree with others on the forum. Buy a 7MM Remington Magnum. I think the 270 Weatherby Magnum is a great cartridge. I wouldn't have a custom gun put together on a Remington action when you can readily buy a 7 Mag off the shelf and use the money you save to invest in the best optics you can afford. Factory ammo for the 7MM will be much cheaper than for the 270 Mag and ammo is readily available for the 7 if you are in a pinch.

If you just want a 270 Mag and have the cash by all means have the rifle built and you will like the cartridge. Though, there isn't anything you can do with the 270 that can't be done equally with the 7MM.
Old 11-17-2004, 10:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you want a custom .270 Weatherby on a 700 action, then go for it. Nothing wrong with that. After all, it's your money and your choice. If it were me, though, I'd choose a different action (maybe a Win. 70 or Sako 75) and probably the .270 WSM instead of the Weatherby. I shoot a .300 Weatherby Sako and it's an okay round, but there's nothing magic about Weatherby cartridges, nothing at all.

Quick Reply: Weatherby Magnums?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.