Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Good long-range deer calibers. >

Good long-range deer calibers.

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Good long-range deer calibers.

Old 11-04-2005, 04:09 PM

Default RE: Good long-range deer calibers.

What are some good guns in 7mm that aren't too heavy. Almost every deer rifle is chambered in -06, so finding one of those won't matter. I've heard Winchester makes the M70 in 7mm, but I haven't seen many. Which makes sense since it's 7mm Rem. Mag. I am willing to spend about $700 if I get one before this deer season, up to about $1250 if I get it this year.
Old 11-04-2005, 04:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

The tikka t-3 is fairly light and is available in 7mmremmag.All tikkas must shoot 1" groups before being sold so the odds are very good that they will be accurate.Be aware though that reguardless of the cartridge,lighter rifles do provide more recoil.I fired a ruger ultralight in 270win that produced just as much felt recoil as a standard weight 300winmag.
Old 11-04-2005, 06:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Truer words were never spoken.Far too many people buy a rifle chambered in a cartridge that has long range potential,then sight it in at 100 yards and figure that they are now ready for long range shots at game.In reality it takes a great deal of shooting to learn your cartridges trajectory and even more to develop and maintain the shooting skills necessary to accurately place bullet at distances out to500 yards.In fact far more shooting thana box or twoof ammunition per year.
ha ha ha this brought back memories of my first attemps of 500 yard shots, it is unbelieveable how small a piece of poster board is @ 500yds. much less hitting something 6-8" on that piece of posterboard, it took me 6 shots to hit the poster board, this is with a ruger no.1 in 7mm mag with a vari-xIII 3.5X10X40 shooting 140gr pill, my uncle got me "on the paper" with the aid of a 25X spotting scope, this was with a gun that was shooting 2" groups @ 200, now i have one gun i shoot for long ranges, for me over 300yds, a rem 700 in 7mm stw, i don't shoot it near enough to do what i once could, and i refuse to take a questionable shot[&o]
Old 11-04-2005, 07:03 PM

get a browning abolt in 280 rem, browning has the smoothest actions and shoot sub MOA out of the box. they come free-floated and i think they are also bedded, not a great job though, it could be better. wal-mart doesn't sell this calibre, but you can findit in your local bass pro. i own two brownings, a blr and abolt, two of the finest guns on the market i think. my abolt is in 280 the recoil is not bad at all and weighs a little over seven pounds with a scope.
Old 11-04-2005, 07:27 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Mr. Zesterhouse

get a browning abolt in 280 rem, browning has the smoothest actions and shoot sub MOA out of the box. they come free-floated and i think they are also bedded, not a great job though, it could be better. wal-mart doesn't sell this calibre, but you can findit in your local bass pro. i own two brownings, a blr and abolt, two of the finest guns on the market i think. my abolt is in 280 the recoil is not bad at all and weighs a little over seven pounds with a scope.

I agree! I have an A-Bolt in .338 and a BLR in .358....
Old 11-05-2005, 04:59 AM

I think my ultimate long range deer rifle would be a 6.5X'06 Ackley on a Mauser98 action with a real nice piece of Claro Walnut.
Old 11-05-2005, 08:35 AM

Ackley...heard of them but never saw them in person.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:01 AM
Spike

Didn't get your over size Tyke, but wouldn't a 7mm magkick a bit. Friend of mine (he's 33), only shoots his 7mm a few times before he complains about his shoulder. Personally I use a Rem 700 in a bolt with scope, and 180 gr. PSP. Backup is a Marlin 336 (30-30)with open sights (150 gr.). Taken deerout to 100 yds with each easy. I hunt mostly in hardwoods, with rolling to steep terrian. However, you need to know your limitations as to make a humane kill. 30-06 and 30-30s are available everywhere, so is the ammo.I agree with DANTHEHUNTER, nothing wrong with a 30-30 to start with.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:34 AM

I'm using a .270 Ackley as wellas a .26-06 Ackley as long range deer rifles - I'll bet the 6.5-06 Ackley would be a great one as well. As would the 6.5-284 and the .264 Win Mag.

My only issue with the 6.5MM guns is the lack of bullet selection. American bullet companies seem to overlook this caliber and put their eggs in the .270 basket. Yes there are a few good hunting bullets in .264; but I might grow old waiting for a Scirocco or Accubond to come out.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:11 AM

Well I'm goin to basspro, I'm thinking probably a Savage. I like the 111G better than the 110 as far as looks but I've heard a lot about the 110. Is the 111 basically the same gun? I don't want the package since I've heard the scope is basically junk.. I'm after the Savage's accuracy. If I get it I want 7mm (I think) as long as they have it in stock. I guess I'll look at a scope while I'm there too.

Quick Reply: Good long-range deer calibers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.