Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Good long-range deer calibers. >

Good long-range deer calibers.

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Good long-range deer calibers.

Old 11-07-2005, 04:41 PM

Default RE: Good long-range deer calibers.

7 mm rem mag. It is powerful but withmanageable recoil (I am 5-10 150lbs.).
Old 11-08-2005, 12:05 PM

Shot mine with reduced laods, it's not bad. I'm goin to sight it in today. I'll take reduced and full p
ower loads.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:46 AM

I've hunted with 3006, 270, 308 winchester, .243'sand 300 mag and a 338 for deer (too big).The most versital is the 06. I have shot and killed deer withem all the 06 is the smoothest shooting gun with the most thump except for the magnums. With magnums you burn alot of money/powder for very little gain and alot of recoil. I have shot the short mags and don't care for them much lets see in 10 years if they are still around ask your dad or grandpa if they rember the 6.5 MM rem mag once i think these will go the way of that. My choices are 257 Roberts, 270, 3006 or if you need a magnum for some reason a 338 loaded way down with hand loads to 06 velocities we are not killing grizzlies just the Whiley whitetail.
Old 11-18-2005, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

With magnums you burn alot of money/powder for very little gain and alot of recoil
Actually if you handload,it costs very little extra to shoot a magnum and the truth be told cartridges like the 270wsm and 7mmremmag do not generate much more feltrecoil than the 30-06.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:43 PM

Truer words were never spoken.Far too many people buy a rifle chambered in a cartridge that has long range potential,then sight it in at 100 yards and figure that they are now ready for long range shots at game.In reality it takes a great deal of shooting to learn your cartridges trajectory and even more to develop and maintain the shooting skills necessary to accurately place bullet at distances out to500 yards.In fact far more shooting thana box or twoof ammunition per year.
That's why my mantra always is thatthere is no functional difference between so many calibers and cartridges - there just isn't any functional difference in trajectory or power delivered at the maximum range most of us can and should be shooting at. Just my opinion of course, but something I've learned by hunting with a bunch of different people with different guns in the field -they all think LONG and HARD about taking a shotbetween 250-300 yards, and almost never take a longer one. When hit at those ranges, the moose or deer dies the same whether hit by the .270, 30-06, 7 mm mag or 300 mag. (just listing the guns most people hunt these animals with).

It is indeed always an eye opener for me when I start practicing shots at even 200 yards after sighting in at 100. Going out from there it gets bleaker and bleaker!
Old 11-19-2005, 02:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

That's why my mantra always is thatthere is no functional difference between so many calibers and cartridges - there just isn't any functional difference in trajectory or power delivered at the maximum range most of us can and should be shooting at.
You are correct in that there is little functional difference between so many cartridges at the ranges that most hunters can actually shoot accurately at.The simple fact is that the majority of hunters practise very little and are not able to accurately place bullets at distances exceeding 200 yards or even less.I make this statement after observing hundreds of hunters shoot at our local range.However for those fewof us that shoot hundreds of rounds per year practising at ranges out to 500 yards or more,some cartridges do indeed offer advantages.I personally hunt with 7mmstws and 300ultramags and the very flat trajectory and the fact thathigher velocity bullets are less effected by wind does make them more desireable for taking game atdistances approaching 500 yards.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:32 PM

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

You are correct in that there is little functional difference between so many cartridges at the ranges that most hunters can actually shoot accurately at....

...However for those fewof us that shoot hundreds of rounds per year practising at ranges out to 500 yards or more,some cartridges do indeed offer advantages....
I hope you weren't thinking I would dispute that certain cartridges indeed offer advantages for those of you that are skilled at long range shooting. Absolutely agree. Hope to be in that league someday myself and have a "legitimate" excuse to buy another gun! Good hunting.
Old 11-19-2005, 04:58 PM

I do believe that higher powered rifles make up for bad shots placed on animals at say within 150yrds or closer.I once was a bad shot cause I shook alot when seen deer and was unable to keep the bullet from going every where except where I wanted it to. I have learned to control that somewhat till after the first shot is placed in the vitals. Many rifles I haved used in my time and still own a variety of them I like my 30 30 in a bolt action.It can plug deer out to 200yrds with no problem.For longer shots out to 300yrds I would have to say the 280 for bringing down elk size animals.I can't say there is just one gun for all game.My opinion is start with something that you would feel comfortable with to shoot.I myself don't like high speed calibers includeing and under a 270.And for semi automatics and pump riflesfor big game, I find them less accurate than a bolt action.But for if you only want 1 gun for everything from deer to moose and grizzly and didn't have plans of buying anymore.I would say the 7mm mag or the 7mm rum= remington ultra mag 140 and 175 grain bullets.This is just my opinion.
Old 11-19-2005, 05:22 PM

stubblejumper(stuby) just likes to disagree with everybody! i think he sees anything not to his opinon, the enemy!
Old 11-19-2005, 10:36 PM

ORIGINAL: paddle

stubblejumper(stuby) just likes to disagree with everybody! i think he sees anything not to his opinon, the enemy!
And you're adding to this discussion in what way?

Quick Reply: Good long-range deer calibers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.