HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Good long-range deer calibers.
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2005, 06:16 PM
m.t.hands
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Good long-range deer calibers.

Truer words were never spoken.Far too many people buy a rifle chambered in a cartridge that has long range potential,then sight it in at 100 yards and figure that they are now ready for long range shots at game.In reality it takes a great deal of shooting to learn your cartridges trajectory and even more to develop and maintain the shooting skills necessary to accurately place bullet at distances out to500 yards.In fact far more shooting thana box or twoof ammunition per year.
ha ha ha this brought back memories of my first attemps of 500 yard shots, it is unbelieveable how small a piece of poster board is @ 500yds. much less hitting something 6-8" on that piece of posterboard, it took me 6 shots to hit the poster board, this is with a ruger no.1 in 7mm mag with a vari-xIII 3.5X10X40 shooting 140gr pill, my uncle got me "on the paper" with the aid of a 25X spotting scope, this was with a gun that was shooting 2" groups @ 200, now i have one gun i shoot for long ranges, for me over 300yds, a rem 700 in 7mm stw, i don't shoot it near enough to do what i once could, and i refuse to take a questionable shot[&o]