Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Is 300 Win. Mag. good for everything or nothing? >

Is 300 Win. Mag. good for everything or nothing?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Is 300 Win. Mag. good for everything or nothing?

Old 06-19-2005, 02:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Is 300 Win. Mag. good for everything or nothing?

You got no probs with that gun. If you can stand the recoil it will kill bout anything ya ever run into many times over...lol. Too much gun for most animals and enough for the rest.
Old 06-19-2005, 03:55 PM

ORIGINAL: redhead522
I originally purchased a Browning 300 Win. Mag. bolt action rifle, thinking I could use it for just about any type of game. But after talking to several people, I'm wondering how multipurpose the caliber really is. I was planning on usingthisgun for the upcoming deer season, but from what I hear, thecaliber is a little too muchfor the local deer here.The main reason I purchased it though, was for hunting biggame up north (moose, elk, grizzley, etc.) But after looking at various large game calibers, mine is the weakest one on the list. Making methink that it's over poweredfor deer and under powered for biggame. Does anyone out there have personal experience with this caliber and taking down moose, elk, bear, etc?
Thanks,
David
P.S. Am I in the right forum? I couldn't find one for ammuntion.
Is it enough for elk, moose, and bear? YES!
Is it too much for deer? No. More than needed, of course, but then it seems most folk use more than needed these days for deer.
Actually, IMO, the 300Win.Mag. is more than needed for elk and moose too. For deer, elk, moose, etc., all you really need is most any standard cartridge such as 270Win., 280Rem., 308Win., or
30-06.
Figuring LARGE bears I'd want more than any .30cal. magnum can offer. I'd be looking to 338Win.Mag. or even a 375H&H. Have to admit though, the 300 magnums seem to handle most situations ok.
Have fun with it, and quit worrying about what others might think.
That's their problem.

Old 06-20-2005, 01:06 PM

ORIGINAL: Virginia7

ORIGINAL: redhead522
I originally purchased a Browning 300 Win. Mag. bolt action rifle, thinking I could use it for just about any type of game. But after talking to several people, I'm wondering how multipurpose the caliber really is. I was planning on using this gun for the upcoming deer season, but from what I hear, the caliber is a little too much for the local deer here. The main reason I purchased it though, was for hunting big game up north (moose, elk, grizzley, etc.) But after looking at various large game calibers, mine is the weakest one on the list. Making me think that it's over powered for deer and under powered for big game. Does anyone out there have personal experience with this caliber and taking down moose, elk, bear, etc?
Thanks,
David
P.S. Am I in the right forum? I couldn't find one for ammuntion.
Is it enough for elk, moose, and bear? YES!
Is it too much for deer? No. More than needed, of course, but then it seems most folk use more than needed these days for deer.
Actually, IMO, the 300Win.Mag. is more than needed for elk and moose too. For deer, elk, moose, etc., all you really need is most any standard cartridge such as 270Win., 280Rem., 308Win., or
30-06.
Figuring LARGE bears I'd want more than any .30cal. magnum can offer. I'd be looking to 338Win.Mag. or even a 375H&H. Have to admit though, the 300 magnums seem to handle most situations ok.
Have fun with it, and quit worrying about what others might think.
That's their problem.

I agree with you don't worry about wat otheres think!!!!
Old 06-21-2005, 07:08 AM
Fork Horn

When you go to the latrine 30 yards from the camp tent at 4:00 AM, you will be glad you chose the 300 mag to take with you.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Redhead522.
You couldn't have picked a more versitile caliber than the 300 win mag..for the game you have choosen to hunt..

Old 06-21-2005, 03:41 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: stubblejumper

The 300 win mag will cleanly take any game animal in north america.

Stubble, for Grizz's I would consider .338 or .358, IMO.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:21 PM
Giant Nontypical

When you go to the latrine 30 yards from the camp tent at 4:00 AM, you will be glad you chose the 300 mag to take with you.
That tops them all
Old 06-22-2005, 12:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

For the night trip to the latrine, give me the 45-70 every time. 450-530 gr Garret loads.
Old 06-22-2005, 01:03 AM

If i was gonna be nitpickity about which gun to take to the latrine...i'd want a smith and wesson 500 so i could use it one handed....kinda...
Old 06-22-2005, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats the one good thing about stainless steel finish on the 500's you can piss and $h!t all over them and still wipe them clean.

The 300 win mag will handle grizz fine with proper bullet choice.I once read about a guy that went fron deer hunt in Texas to Alaska to hunt grizz,when he got there all he had was 150 Balistic tips.He went any way and out found why you need a good quality bullet to bring them down.
The 300 Win mag is a great all-purpose N/A big-game rifle.Any 150-180 gr bullet will handle deer with ease.A good nosler for elk,moose and grizz.
BBJ

Quick Reply: Is 300 Win. Mag. good for everything or nothing?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.