Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Big Game rifle question >

Big Game rifle question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Big Game rifle question

Old 09-20-2002, 07:30 AM
Spike

Default Big Game rifle question

I am planning an Montana Elk/Black bear, or Canadian Caribou hunt. I currently have a Ruger in .338 win mag. I am considering trading the 338 for a 7mm or 300 Ultra Mag for better range. This will be my first Big Game hunt, so I'm looking for any advise on this topic.
Old 09-20-2002, 07:41 AM

Default RE: Big Game rifle question

Are you considering an Alaskan Bear hunt, Griz or Brown ever?
If so I'd keep the 338. If the is not a desire of yours, then the downgrade in caliber would allow a flatter shooting rifle.

Good Luck!

Greg

"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."

Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!
Old 09-20-2002, 08:11 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-20-2002, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

Either a 7mm or 3oo magnum will do nicely for the game you intend to hunt.If you don't handload however I would not bother with the 300 ultramag as the facory downloads them so much that they really aren't worth the bother.If you handload though the 300 ultramag is a very good long range caliber.I use one myself for hunting elk and moose.
Old 09-20-2002, 10:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Like SJ, I think a 7mm or 300 win would service you well. What is it with us hunters that think BIGGER & BADDER? I was looking for more power and really thought the 300 Ultra was for me. After much research and asking questions, I decided a 7MM Mag is everything I need. I hunt mostly deer, but as well Elk and Moose. This caliber has good ballistics, energy and a range of bullet offerings. For off the shelf Ammo it or the 300 win is a better option than the 300 UM. If your going to handload, than thats different but she won't be cheap and I shot one in the summer and it boots pretty good. For me I have a roughed up shooting wing (hockey injury last winter) and honestly don't think I could handle the recoil without a flinch. But maybe for you it isn't a problem.

In any regards, get what will make you happy, confident and work for your situation.

Old 09-21-2002, 12:44 AM
bigcountry

A 338 win mag is a heck of a round. So is the 300RUM. I would probably steer away from the 338RUM. Packs quite a punch. I have both and think you got quite the gun for the job.

Old 09-21-2002, 06:55 AM

i would stay with what you got.

Old 09-21-2002, 09:53 AM

.. I think you should stick with the 338, if you can shoot it accurately and consistently. If you look at the ballistics of the 225gr bullets, I think you'll be surprised at how flat it shoots. I, personally think that we (shooters in general) are not going towards "bigger and badder".... I see more posts about hunting elk with 243's and 6.5's.. and hunting deer with 223's.... I still believe in the old adage, use enough gun. Of course the 7mm and 300 Ultras will definitely be enough gun, but you already have the 338, so, why mess with it?

"Progress, far from consisting in change, depends on retentiveness..those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Santayana
Old 09-21-2002, 04:40 PM
Spike

Thanks everyone for your replys. I think I'm going with one of the Ultra mags, 300, or 7mm. Any thoughts on that? What one would you pick and why? I'm leaning towards the 7mm Ultra....
Old 09-21-2002, 05:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Latts-Do you reload?I have both the 7mm and 300 ultra's and although both are great calibers they are only a real advantage for longer shots and neither is much of an advantage at all in factory loadings.In order to be able to take advantage of the flat trajectory these cartridges offer you must also be prepared to spend many hours at the range developing the shooting skills necessary to be competent at the 400yard plus ranges where these cartridges shine.In doing this the higher cost of factory ammunition and short barrel life that come with the ultras may be a factor in choosing a standard magnum over either of the ultramagnums.

Quick Reply: Big Game rifle question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.