Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Big Game rifle question >

Big Game rifle question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Big Game rifle question

Old 10-03-2002, 07:42 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-04-2002, 11:01 PM

Default RE: Big Game rifle question

The 338 Win Mag is known as the gun of Alaska as so many guides use the gun. Alaska has bigger animals than Montana so i would stick with the 338.

Why work when you can hunt???? Heck why work at all!!
Old 10-05-2002, 01:11 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-05-2002, 03:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Robert scott-How heavy is your wifes 7mm ultramag.My own rifle is a custom with mcmillan stock and decellerator pad and weighs 7-3/4 lbs.I find recoil to be quite manageable.I also shoot a 300 ultramag and that has noticeably more recoil.
Old 10-05-2002, 09:00 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-05-2002, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm thinking you already have a good gun that you're used to shooting so why trade it for a different one? If you can find some hot load for it with a lighter bullet it should be able to shoot fast and flat and still kill any big game you put your crosshairs on.

I don't know what bullet sizes you can get and limiting your options to factory rounds will limit that option but if you have a friend that reloads maybe buy all the gear specific to your caliber and have him/her show you how to do it and then borrow his gear to reload some shells.

Cripes, I couldn't stand it...just dug out my Nosler manual...you can load up either a 200g Balistic Tip or 210g Partition to over 3,000 fps for that rifle. I see no advantage to trading it in unless you just *need* a new rifle. I would suggest doing what you think works best for you in this situation. You know enough of the facts to decide probably now.
Old 10-06-2002, 10:04 PM
Typical Buck

if the recoil at the range is what's bothering you, why don't you just get a muzzle brake and good hearing protection, as for the rest of it, it's just as the others have said, stick with what you've got after all if you get a new rifle you don't know what kind of shooter it'l be . you could get a real lemon. but if you've decided allready, a .300 rum will fill the bill, flat shooting, useable on deer, and bullet size and weights big enough for the larger game. ( i've got one in a model 700 rocky mountain elk federation rifle, and she shoots sweet ( i've got a muzzle brake on her )
whelen36 stephen d.

TROPHY HUNTER
Old 10-07-2002, 11:13 AM
Spike

Stubblejumper, I think I'm going to keep my 338, and still look into purchasing a 7mm Ultra Mag or maybe the 300 RUM. I read that you have 7mm Ultra mag, and I was woundering what your thoughts are on the caliber? I guess I'm itchy to buy a new rifle, and really like how the 7mm Ultra Mag can perform. Also, now that you own both the 300 & 7mm Ultra mags, what are your thoughts between the two? As I mentioned previously, I was leaning towards the 7mm. Again, I don't reload but interested in it. I am also considering a brake for the pratice sessions at the range. Any feedback would help in my decission making......
Old 10-07-2002, 01:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

Latts..how old is your ruger? I just picked up a new MKII in 338 this weekend and was wondering how yours shoots and what you have done to it.
Old 10-07-2002, 04:12 PM
bigcountry

After just coming back from a Moose/bear hunt in Newfoundland, and packing around a 300RUM with bull barrel, next year I am going to find the lightest gun I can find. This gun was way to heavy to hump around 14 miles a day. And the guides only used 270Win and 30-06. One got a nice bull with a .243. I couldn't believe it. I don't care of the caliber, but it has to be light. Like 8lb scoped light.

Quick Reply: Big Game rifle question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.