Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Big Game rifle question >

Big Game rifle question

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Big Game rifle question

Old 10-07-2002, 06:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Big Game rifle question

Latts-In all honesty I believe the 300ultra to be the better cartridge as it is more able to benefit from the large case capacity.The 7mm bore is just not large enough to gain any real advantage over the 7mmstw with a 26" barrel.If you are primarily hunting deer with the occaisional elk or moose I would go with the 7mmstw(I have two myself and use them for all my deer,pronghorn and bighorn hunting).If this gun is primarily for elk and moose go with the 300 ultra but be warned the recoil can be too much for some people.Do not put a brake on the rifle as even one shot without ear protection will start the damage to your hearing)As far as the gun being heavier I haul my 10lb (scoped) rifles all over the mountains hunting elk and sheep and have never had a problem.I find that the extra weight lessens the recoil and aids my shooting accuracy.Again I will stress that to realize any real benefit from any of the ultramags you must reload.Factory 7mm ultras are no faster than most factory 7mm stw's and factory 300 wby loads(weatherby brand) are just as fast as factory 300 ultra loads.

Edited by - stubblejumper on 10/07/2002 19:28:21
Old 10-07-2002, 10:01 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 10-08-2002, 06:06 AM
bigcountry

Your right on Otis. I believe this gun I have is great for truck hunting, or field stand hunting. But I like to learn the hard way. I would have never dreamed they were serious about hiking 14 miles a day. I wasn't ready physically. And a 12 or 14 lb gun didn't help.

Old 10-08-2002, 06:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

Big country-While a heavier rifle certainly doesn't help the key is to be in shape when hunting where you may have to walk or climb.My own rifles weigh around 9 to 9-1/2 lbs fully equipped and I have no problems hunting sheep or backpacking.I have however seen people carrying lighter rifles that didn't put enough effort into preparing themselves physically and they came to regret it.If you think moose hunting is tough try a goat or bighorn huntwhere you must climb with a pack and also have to deal with altitude.