Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rifle question? >

Rifle question?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifle question?

Old 05-21-2005, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rifle question?

I am looking to get a new rifle. I dont have a lot of money and I think I want to get the Remington model 710 or possibly the Mossberg 100ATR. Here is my question, I will mostly be hunting whitetail and coyote. There is a chance I may want to hunt Mule deer or antelope as well. I dont have the money to get 2 rifles right now. Here is the sight for the Remington gun. Check the calibers at the bottom and let me know which you would suggest for me... http://www.remington.com/firearms/centerfire/fi_710.htm ...Or if there is another caliber that you think would suit my needs better. Also tell me what the differences between these calibers would be as far as range and power. Thanks for any help.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:00 PM

Default RE: Rifle question?

jepcho,
If it were me, I'd check out the Savage 116fxp3 in either 7mm magnum or 300 Win magnum. For the same money , it's a heck of a lot more rifle than a 710. The most accurate rifle out of the box, bar none. The accu-trigger is awesome also. I think the Savage would serve you very well. Whatever your choice, good luck and enjoy.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

jepcho,
If it were me, I'd check out the Savage 116fxp3 in either 7mm magnum or 300 Win magnum. For the same money , it's a heck of a lot more rifle than a 710. The most accurate rifle out of the box, bar none. The accu-trigger is awesome also. I think the Savage would serve you very well. Whatever your choice, good luck and enjoy.

In a nutshell there are a lot of choices that are much better and not much more expensive then a 710 or the Mossberg. In the long run you'll be happier.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:09 PM

DO NOT BUY A 710, they are pieces of $hit. A 25-06 or 270 would suit you perfectly in my oppinion. Also the prices on remingtons website are higher than you will see in most gun stores, for example the remington 700 vsf i bought has a suggested retail price of 950 dollars and i got it for 750. Depending on how much you have to spend u can probably get any number of good guns for under 450 dollars, 700 remington bdl, weatherby vanguard, and tikka whitetail series. Just go to your local gun store and see what you like.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:16 PM

jepcho,
NO Way buy a Tikka. The magazine is plastic. The bolt shroud is polycarbonate. The ejection port is miniscule. There are more plastic parts than on my son's toy rifle. The rifle comes with an accuracy guarantee but does accuracy matter when it falls apart. I'd call it a day hunting rifle, not for serious hunters.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

NO Way buy a Tikka. The magazine is plastic. The bolt shroud is polycarbonate. The ejection port is miniscule. There are more plastic parts than on my son's toy rifle. The rifle comes with an accuracy guarantee but does accuracy matter when it falls apart. I'd call it a day hunting rifle, not for serious hunters.
I know of a few very serious hunters that use tikka rifles.The magazines have not broken and the shells eject just fine.These rifles have proven to be both accurate and dependable.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:03 PM

Forget the 710. Suggest you check out the various Savage rifles which can be had in
270Win. If you can't afford a new Savage then you might be better off looking into a
good used rifle in 270Win. - still beats a 710.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

710= JUNK
Savage=good value!
Old 05-21-2005, 07:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Get a Savage, Howa lightning, Remington 700 synthetic, or Winchester shadow. All of these can be bought for under $400 and some include a scope.

Do not waste your money on the 710 or the Mossberg. The 710 is a POS and the Mossberg is even worse.

Even if you need to wait and save a little more money it would be well worth it.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:53 PM
Dominant Buck

Jepcho, the Rem 710 has silicon and teflon parts in the action.
If you it have reblued it will disolve in the tank!

Quick Reply: Rifle question?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.